Books! (1 Viewer)

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Today, 05:59
The Clean Code book looks great but the reviews state its written for java.
If anyone knows a good VBA equivalent, I'd be interested
The ideas in Clean Code are about programming, and in respect to programming, Java is a VBA equivalent. :)

Solo712

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:59
Frankly, I think by providing lots of reference sources other than AWF, all of us who have contributed suggestions, including myself, should be instantly banned for advertising. :D:) :)

For further information, please see this thread starting at post 7
https://access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=297262

EDIT - partly in case anyone doesn't realise I'm joking....
The Clean Code book looks great but the reviews state its written for java.
If anyone knows a good VBA equivalent, I'd be interested

Colin, the best reference book on VBA that I know of (and use myself) is Andrew Couch'es Access 2010 VBA Programming Inside Out...

Best,
Jiri

jleach

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:59
Clean Code covers OOP in general, be it Java or C#. His stuff is equally applicable to both, but many of the concepts just don't transfer to VBA.

That said, I've always been on the fence about Uncle Bob's work. Good intro to things for beginners in OOP, but seems to have a tendency to take a person quarter of the way there and leave it as "ok that's enough" with an implication that it's really the correct way, even though it's not (as if he were too lazy to explain the implications). As such, you tend to get scores of people saying "but that's the way he said to do it and his work is popular so it must be right!"

I'd much rather read something from Martin Fowler or Dino Esposito.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 13:59
Colin, the best reference book on VBA that I know of (and use myself) is Andrew Couch'es Access 2010 VBA Programming Inside Out...

Best,
Jiri

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked & already have that in ebook format though I have to admit I've hardly ever looked at it.

In fact the last Access book I bought was Microsoft Access 2013 Inside Out by Jeff Conrad (Access Junkie). After ordering it some 4 years ago, I changed my mind & cancelled the order. The book turned up nevertheless & I was told by the vendor I could keep it for free.

Its certainly no reflection on the book or the author but it also remains to this day practically unused.

Some other ebooks that I own but don't refer to...

TBH I have loads of Access books dating back to Access 97 but can't remember when I last looked at any of them.
Its certainly not that I know everything. Just that Google searches are so much easier ....

Attachments

• EBooks.PNG
    EBooks.PNG
    23.5 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom