FE/BE Installation (1 Viewer)

llkhoutx

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:35
Please recommend a solution or commerical software for installing a FE/BE Access program to a network drive for the BE and one or more local PCs for the FE. Of course, BE tables will have to be linked to the FE. Detailed instructions for same are quite tedius and requires a comprehensive explanation for an unsophisticated user which I wish to avoid.:banghead:

Thank you in advance for your courtesies.

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 12:35
in menu , Database Tools, click Access database,
click split database button.
afterwards, I rename my BE : myDbName_BE.accdb
move the BE to the server folder.
open the FE, frontend.
Right click on any table,
Linked Table manager,
far right, click SELECT ALL button
(bottom left corner) click ALWAYS PROMPT FOR NEW LOCATION

(outside of Access) in File explorer, open a window using the FULL file UNC path to the backend ( \\server\folder\myDb_BE.accdb) , DO NOT USE DRIVE LETTERS (Z:\folder\BE.accdb)

copy this path, paste it into the Access as the location of the BE file.
once all tables are linked to the new UNC path,close Relink window, (OK button)

now give a copy of the Front End to all users.
I have every user FE on the network too. So when I make changes, I run a macro to copy the FE to all their folders:
\\server\users\bob\myFE.accdb
\\server\users\sally\myFE.accdb

this way they are always up to date with the most current version.
a shortcut on the users desktop runs their FE in their share drive.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time

Bullschmidt

Freelance DB Developer
Local time
Please recommend a solution or commerical software for installing a FE/BE Access program to a network drive for the BE and one or more local PCs for the FE. Of course, BE tables will have to be linked to the FE. Detailed instructions for same are quite tedius and requires a comprehensive explanation for an unsophisticated user which I wish to avoid.
No offense intended, but I probably wouldn't trust the installation process of a front end (no matter how seemingly simple) to a possibly unsophisticated user - I'd do it myself especially if there hopefully aren't too many local PCs. And then of course I could give each one a quick test too. (And of course you'd want to make sure that each local PC has and is licensed for Access on it.)

Last edited:

adrianscotter

Registered old fart!
Local time
Today, 16:35
No offense intended, but I probably wouldn't trust the installation process of a front end (no matter how seemingly simple) to a possibly unsophisticated user - I'd do it myself especially if there hopefully aren't too many local PCs. And then of course I could give each one a quick test too. (And of course you'd want to make sure that each local PC has and is licensed for Access on it.)

I personally use Windows scripting language with a copy of the front end sitting in an Application folder on the server. The end user double clicks what looks like an Access database icon but it really runs the script which copies the front end to their local hard disk and runs it. I only have one place to put updates, they always get a new copy of the front end. Yes, it needs to be setup and that takes about 5 minutes per client but done remotely from the server, you’re sitting on your bum for a while, beats running around the building! It also means everyone is running the latest available copy. Win win win! As I’m responsible for the whole IT system, I know everything is licensed correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom