Getting image in Excel header to center/fit as background letterhead (1 Viewer)

kilroyscarnival

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:18
I was sent a problem sheet to try to fix it. It's a simple spreadsheet used as a rundown of fees, and apparently the user wanted our "second sheet" letterhead as a background. I'm attaching a snip of how it looks in Print Preview - with the letterhead image starting about .7 inch to the right of the edge of the paper.

I tried changing the margins, including dropping the header margin to 0, all margins to 0, moving the image from the center field of the header to the left one -- couldn't get it to extend into the corners. I finally gave up, printed it with no header graphic onto a page of the appropriate stationery, then scanned it, since it's being sent by PDF anyway.

Am I missing a control mechanism? By the way, I tried inserting the same image as "Insert Background" and it spread itself across the whole worksheet (not the print area), so that didn't work.

Attachments

• Letterhead header in Excel.JPG
    Letterhead header in Excel.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 296

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
not sure which version of excel you are using or whether this will work for you, but for more recent versions go to page Layout>Print titles>Header/footer. There is an option for different first page

kilroyscarnival

Registered User.
Local time
not sure which version of excel you are using or whether this will work for you, but for more recent versions go to page Layout>Print titles>Header/footer. There is an option for different first page

Ah, I forgot to say -- it's Excel 2010. Yes, I do have those features, but though I did have hope for the check-boxes for "Scale with Document" and "Align with Page Margins," I tried those in every combination of on and off, and none of them re-aligned the background. I just tried making the background picture 9 x 12 inches, i.e. larger than the 8 1/2 x 11 inch paper size chosen, and that didn't shift it over either.

On the plus side, I've realized that it seems a bit of a fluke. None of these fee schedules I've worked with in the months I've been here has had a background, either realized or intended. So maybe it got put in there by mistake, with the user thinking it was just like Word. I hope it won't come up again until I've sorted it.:)

Thanks for your help! It gave me a few more things to try at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom