Requery just ONE row from sql server (1 Viewer)

CedarTree

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:41
So the solution (so far) seems to be linking a View via DSNless connection, creating the index, and I expect good speed.

CedarTree

Registered User.
Local time
Okay - no luck. The recordsource of the Form is a View from SQL Server, with an index, and yet Search/Find is still taking a very long time.

CedarTree

Registered User.
Local time
So... to summarize... here are some options I've tried...

1) Link to SQL server table... Form uses standard query on this... does a lot of what I want BUT search/Find is slow.

2) Link to View on Server... similar to 1) I think

3) Pass-through query - everything is faster, but it doesn't refresh data when the data is updated behind the scenes, even with the Refresh command

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Can you post the query you are running - both versions please.

CedarTree

Registered User.
Local time
This is the standard query...

RecordSource = "SELECT usysServer_tblPersons.* FROM usysServer_tblPersons WHERE (((usysServer_tblPersons.Group)=fngsGroup())) ORDER BY usysServer_tblPersons.ID;"

usysServer_tblPersons is a Server table linked to Access with Group/ID as the index.

fngsGroup() is a constant selected earlier in the process.

The other standard query just referred to a View instead.

The passthrough was very similar, but of course had a connection string to the server.

CedarTree

Registered User.
Local time
Maybe another way to ask the question is this... because really all I'm trying to do is find the Row where ID = 12345 (for example) and go to that row. If I use recordset / find, it's slow. I can of course query where ID = 12345 but that won't give me the row. How do I get the row number, quickly (without looping through all words), that meets a criteria?

CedarTree

Registered User.
Local time
I came up with a "cheat"... I created a pass-through query that mimics the Form recordsource, but also returns Row_Number. Then I run another query off the P-T query which grabs the RowNum that matches the criteria, then I go to that RowNum on the form. It runs relatively quickly. I don't need a View, or indexing, etc.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The query isn't using a join, it is using a function to look for a matching record. Of course this takes forever. How many rows is the function reading?

CedarTree

Registered User.
Local time
Ah. It might be 10,000 records. I see what you mean. I guess I assumed that once the query found the records, doing a search should be fast, but I guess that "criteria" slows things down quite a bit. Since I found a work-around, I'm going to just use that.

CedarTree

Registered User.
Local time
P.S. Just out of curiosity, I fixed the query to be hard-coded SELECT usysServer_tblPersons.* FROM usysServer_tblPersons WHERE Group = 'XYZ' ORDER BY usysServer_tblPersons.ID;
And the search/find still took forever.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Sounds like a large table and no index on Group.

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:41
I created a pass-through query that mimics the Form recordsource, but also returns Row_Number. Then I run another query off the P-T query which grabs the RowNum that matches the criteria, then I go to that RowNum on the form. It runs relatively quickly.
Interesting idea. That simulates what Access/ODBC does automatically when using a linked table (or view) with a standard query in Access.

I don't need a View, or indexing, etc.
I agree on you not needing a view. - When I suggested that, I assumed a complex query across multiple tables. - That is a very common reason for using a Pass-Through-Query.

However, I think indexing is the one thing you most urgently need! Put an index on tblPersons.Group in SQL Server and then check how your queries behave. - I guess this might solve your problem completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom