NASA Study Indicates Antarctica is Gaining More Ice Than It's Losing - (4 Viewers)

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:34
According to a lot of those studies you don't agree with, human caused pollutants play a large part of human caused climate change. I mention pollution because, in general, I believe we can all do things to lower pollution for reasons that have nothing to do with climate change. As Doc said, if we care enough to cut back on pollution for the sake of only pollution, ignoring the climate change rhetoric, and it helps combat climate change as a side-effect, what's the harm?

At the rate we are going with pollution, between air, land, and water, I don't think we'll need to worry about climate change.

No money in it that deal. However, it would be sensible as people can actually see something.

Problem is so much bullshit. 80% of retail in Australia is controlled by two places, Coles and Woolworths. They use to supply free very thin plastic bags with handles at the check out to pack your groceries etc. Then last year in the name of saving the world they changed to heavier "reusable" bags and 15c each. Of course these 15c bags are nowhere near as good as bin liners etc. so many people like me now buy the bin liner bags from Coles. In short, they make more money and there is more plastic. Of course then there is all the plastic that meat etc. is wrapped in and so it goes.

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
An add-on to this concept. What is the average person to think when the major proponents advocating for the fight against global warming blatantly ignore, in full view of the public, any lifestyle changes (sacrifices) to help reduce global warming.

In Australia people who are real big pushers of climate change and the ocean levels rising live on the water front in Sydney in what would be among the most expensive real estate in the world. When I say water front I don't mean ocean views, I mean literally the water front.

I guess the are not worried about ocean levels rising and stuffing up the value of their property. Thus one must assume that others with the real big money are not worried either as those people would be the market if they wanted to sell their house.

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Today, 04:34
I guess the are not worried about ocean levels rising and stuffing up the value of their property. Thus one must assume that others with the real big money are not worried either as those people would be the market if they wanted to sell their house.

Like Obama's new house on Martha's vineyard?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:34
Mike375 said:
I seem to remember reading or seeing somewhere that ocean ice or icebergs are not salt all the way through because in the freezing process the salt migrates towards the surface.

You are correct. This is also how you make super-pure metals, in a technique called "zone refining." You should be able to find that on the net so I'll summarize. In essence, the entropic forces that lead to crystallization tend to push impurities into the still-molten zone because randomness interferes with crystallization. So by minimizing entropy in the solidifying crystals, you get the most energy flow advantage of the overall process. And the end result for icebergs is that the last layer never freezes because of all the salt that was pushed out of the ice nearest it.

Uncle G, you commented on "earned degrees." In all of the universities in the USA that I know about, the general rule (and it was true at the University of New Orleans where I got my Ph.D.) is that you have a committee of advisors, one of which is your "major advisor" i.e. your doctoral mentor. In my case, it was a committee of five. Yes, your work is peer-reviewed and you can be sent back to the lab for more work if they think you skipped something, ignored something, ... in other words, presented incomplete or deficient work.

Not as bragging but simply as a statement of fact, my committee of five passed me unanimously on my first attempt at dissertation defense. In December of 1975, I was awarded the earned degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Analytical Chemistry.

I did not attend a lot of universities, but while I was in the doctoral program, a LOT of folks came through the department from other universities. We compared notes, so that is how I know that the review I faced was quite common in the USA.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You are correct. This is also how you make super-pure metals, in a technique called "zone refining." You should be able to find that on the net so I'll summarize. In essence, the entropic forces that lead to crystallization tend to push impurities into the still-molten zone because randomness interferes with crystallization. So by minimizing entropy in the solidifying crystals, you get the most energy flow advantage of the overall process.

Also used to make spirits from fermented products.

In some places they leave a barrel of cider outside to freeze in the winter then drill into the centre to obtain a drink to "warm the cockles" just when needed.:D:D

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:34
As I understand it, ANY slow crystallization will have that "purification" effect. It is how we make "pure cane sugar" in the deep South. Crush the sap out of sugar cane, heat it to a boil, and then reduce the heat slightly. Eventually you get crystal formation by, essentially, a differential distillation and condensation and eventual solidification.

If you've never been around the process, it actually stinks because that "differential" method leaves behind some pretty smelly dregs. But then, a related process occurs in crude oil distillation into various "fractions" in a fractionating tower. Again, balancing entropy against enthalpy (a specific way of measuring chemical energy) allows for separation of mixed components.

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Seems that this discussion should come to an end, if you want to live a bit longer.
Excessive brain activity linked to a shorter life

But then.
Book up for a longer life: readers die later, study finds

Of course these two studies are subtly different allowing for apparent "conflicting" conclusions depending on ones viewpoint. The first focuses on brain activity while the second focuses on reading.

They often do interesting things in Finland with health stuff.

Take 100 men age 65 who have never had any cardiovascular issues, not even angina and have been life long smokers. Take another 100 men who also have never had any cardiovascular issues and have never smoked.

In 5 years time at age 70 the group with the most heart attacks/strokes are the "never smoked" group.

Of course the reason is that any of the smokers who were predisposed to cardiovascular problems had the problem before they were 65, no so the non smokers who were predisposed to cardiovascular problems.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 07:34
There is a lot of grandstanding and hysteria related to getting people to be on-board with joining the fight against "climate change". But what to do if people don't want to get on-board?

Hawaiian Wind Farm Protesters Arrested, Say Windmills Too Close to Homes, Citing Noise Pollution and Migraines

"Local residents have been protesting the construction of the wind farm along Oahu's North Shore for over ten years, long claiming that the construction site is too close to school and residential areas on the island. They also say Kahuku residents were not consulted before the wind farms were approved."

Note that this protest has already gone on for over ten years. This one example will illustrate that future attempts to move towards greater green energy anywhere in the US would probably end-up being tied-up in court ad ad infinitum.

This is an example of the acronym NIMBY (not in my backyard).

In a prior post, I already covered how many of those claiming to support the fight against climate change don't seem to have a real commitment as they are doing it more as a publicity stunt rather than actually modifying their behavior.

As a "freebee" to my post, here is the following small story. Housing in Brief: Montgomery County MD Votes to Allow ADUs. So how does housing in Montgomery County Maryland factor into the global warming debate?

Well Montgomery County is one of those areas were the residents are very rich, rabidly pro-Democratic party, and exceptionally influential in the US political process. Based on their political orientation the residents of Montgomery County would be expected to be very active in social causes such as helping the disadvantaged. Yet when given the "opportunity" to allow the disadvantaged to live in their community, they have objected.

The opponents of the bill have cited concerns over demographic change. Last month, Katherine Guglis, an appointed member of Montgomery County’s Charter Review Commission, wrote a letter critiquing the zoning changes, writing, “Just because others flee crime-ridden and poverty-stricken areas doesn’t mean Montgomery County has to be turned into a slum to accommodate them.”

One can conclude, that those who are best in the position to implement measures to address the adverse impacts of global warming may exclude themselves from having to abide by any of those measures that would have an adverse impact on them.

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:34
And you actually expect to be taken as a someone who has a clue on atmospheric science.

I watched this video:-

Differences With Jordan Peterson (Pt. 2) | Ravi Zacharias | SPIRITUALITY | Rubin Report

A couple of days ago. The interesting part for me is from time index 7 minutes. Ravi Zacharias said people cannot discuss things without making it personal, without bringing the other person down.

I've noticed that a lot on Access World Forums, someone expresses a point of view, another disagrees with it, this is bound to happen, but then it goes past disagreement and becomes some sort of personal Vendetta which in some cases escalates.

It is no longer possible to have a debate with certain individuals... My response to these personal attacks is to ignore the person carrying out the attack. I'm no longer sure that that is a good strategy. It would be much more advantageous to everyone, if we could talk whilst holding each other in respect...

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
And you actually expect to be taken as a someone who has a clue on atmospheric science
If the left is the only arbiter on atmospheric science, then happily no. :)

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
LOl, I don't know if its 100% wrong, but lets say it's 50 or 60% that's still a large margin. Worth questioning. Wasn't that the motto of the left, "question everything"? At least it used to be.

Being that its politically driven, it makes it tough for average Joe six pack to figure out which way the political wind blowing.

Last edited:

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Australia is the country to demonstrate how much bullshit there is with the climate change warriors and scientists in the climate change payroll.

While they run around wanting the country to be covered in windmills and solar panels and backup batteries and electric cars, you name it, they conveniently forget that Australia is the world's biggest exporter of coal and gas. If Australia could be 100% powered by windmills and solar panels then our exports of coal and gas would rise by a small amount.

Since it is "global" then it does not matter where the coal or gas is burnt so Australia going 100% windmills and solar panel will make zero difference.

The Australian Labor party (equals American Democrats but further to the left and especially with their partner The Greens) has declared A Climate Emergency. Fortunately the did not win the last election and so are in opposition.

Based on climate change predictions from the climate science people they would be better to read Tarot cards or perhaps just put a whole lot of predictions in a hat and pull them out. Maybe this is what they do:D

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
While they run around wanting the country to be covered in windmills and solar panels and backup batteries and electric cars, you name it, they conveniently forget that Australia is the world's biggest exporter of coal and gas.

Apparently you have not noticed the huge campaign to stop new coal mines being opened.

Try searching "Adani" if you need more information.

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Apparently you have not noticed the huge campaign to stop new coal mines being opened.

Try searching "Adani" if you need more information.

Yes I know about Adani and The Greens.

What about all the coal and gas we currently export as Adani is only an extra mine.

What about all the fuel Bob Brown and his followers burnt up going way up to Adani for their useless protest. Should have used electric cars charged by windmills:D

What about that Zali Steggall. You would think with all the Get Up money behind her she would have had her house covered in solar panels and replaced her SUV.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yes I know about Adani and The Greens.

What about all the coal and gas we currently export as Adani is only an extra mine.

What about all the fuel Bob Brown and his followers burnt up going way up to Adani for their useless protest. Should have used electric cars charged by windmills:D

What about that Zali Steggall. You would think with all the Get Up money behind her she would have had her house covered in solar panels and replaced her SUV.
lol, good one. The left struggles to combat their own hypocrisy.

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
lol, good one. The left struggles to combat their own hypocrisy.

It gets worse. Australian coal is the black lower emission stuff and Adani is that and is Indian owned and would of course go to India. Stop it from opening and Indians would buy the high emission lower energy brown coal. So the climate change people either want to increase emissions or don't have a clue of what they are talking about:D

Adani is in our northern state of Queensland and the state Labor gov't is so far to the left and goes on and on about this climate crap BUT the state budget is highly dependent royalties from coal mining. However, in our last Federal election last May a big reality check arrived. The Labor party in QLD only got 26% of the vote and they are one our two major parties. The lowest Labor vote in history.

People are waking up to the bullshit an all its costs and all the predictions falling over.

In fact I often wonder how that 16 year Greta girl will go in 5 years when all the predictions have all fallen over. Maybe a law can be passed to make the sun behave itself.:D

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Remember this "inconvenient truth"
Finally, even though he has supposedly long been a foe of logging the old-growth forests of the Pacific Northwest, shortly after being sworn in as Vice President, Gore added a verandah made of old-growth redwood and Douglas fir to the Vice President's mansion. Clearly, Gore should learn to listen more closely to the rhetoric that his speech writers have given him.

And this beauty
A new analysis by the National Center for Public Policy Research found that Gore's Tennessee home "guzzles more electricity in one year than the average American family uses in 21 years."
In one month last year, the report found, Gore's home consumed more electricity than the average family uses in 34 months.

Still, after peddling false information about how the planet is doomed, Al Gore is now peddling more false information about how he can have his mansion and his zero-carbon footprint, too.
If Gore really believed what he preaches about the horrors of climate change, he'd keep buying those carbon offsets, while also tearing down his mansion, draining his pool and staying put.

Real scientists should denounce this rhetoric, but that wouldn't fit their narrative. Just crickets.

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Al Gore is unreal.

It simply proves climate change followers can't think for themselves.

About month ago on a TV show we have called Q&A and on a channel which would be Australia's counterpart of the BBC, consists of the host, five panel guests and the audience and questions from the audience. To say the audience is to the left is a massive understatement. :D

The top radio broadcaster in Australia is from the very conservative side and talks about the "great climate change hoax":D Anyway, this night a while ago on the panel is a climate change scientist and he stated that all the figures the radio broadcaster used were wrong and great cheer from the audience. HOWEVER, he must have forgotten that about 3 years earlier he did an interview with the radio broadcaster and not only agreed with the broadcaster's figures but enhanced them.

Naturally the broadcaster had a copy of the interview and played it over and over for about a week.:D The scientists must have got on the climate change payroll.

I think they rely on the lefty people only reading or watching lefty stuff. I do both. Watch Fox News and Australia's Sky News but also CNN, Read the NY Times as well as Australia's counterpart.

Our Sky News and the radio broadcaster and that radio station in general or predicted Trump would win. They also predicted Labor would not win our last Federal election. The left as you know (and also in Australia) had Hillary as a 100% sure deal and Trump at 0%. Same deal here for a Labor win.

The left report what they want to happen. I still remember the radio broadcaster who is also on a once week show on Sky News on Tuesdays and the Tuesday before the Saturday election he went through the various seats and said it is impossible for Labor to win. The next day the lefty media said that just proved he has no idea.

But Al Gore is unreal but you have to hand it to him he knows how to make money from these dills.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom