Hello (1 Viewer)

EzGoingKev

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:02
Hello all.

I have lurked around for a while using Google searches. I figured I would finally set up an account.

I currently work in the automotive industry. Aftermarket auto parts to be exact. I work with data files.

I build data files that tell you what applications part X fits. I am constantly building data into different formats so that it can be loaded into somebody's system or to compare against another data set.

Not a lot is plug and play. Everyone's data is a little different requiring manipulation to get it to work.

I am pretty much self taught. I will build the data set in Access and then work with it in Excel.

Any help that I receive here is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:02
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Welcome to the forum Kev!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Welcome aboard! My employer has an in-house repair facility and one of my apps tracks parts, so I have a teeny bit of familiarity with the subject. Good luck with your projects.

EzGoingKev

Registered User.
Local time
Welcome aboard! My employer has an in-house repair facility and one of my apps tracks parts, so I have a teeny bit of familiarity with the subject. Good luck with your projects.
Thanks.

The stuff I do is mostly what fits what and then a lot of updating and QC'ing the data.

I was a mechanic for a long time until I got hurt. Then I moved into an office. I was amazed at all the stuff that goes on in the background to sell auto parts.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Is that type of data publicly available? I try to validate when they issue parts to a vehicle that the part fits that vehicle, but I have to maintain a table with that data.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:02
Welcome, Kev. Glad you chose to join with us.

EzGoingKev

Registered User.
Local time
Is that type of data publicly available? I try to validate when they issue parts to a vehicle that the part fits that vehicle, but I have to maintain a table with that data.
Are you talking about OE parts, aftermarket parts, or a mix of both?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Are you talking about OE parts, aftermarket parts, or a mix of both?

I think both. I'm just the lowly IT guy. ;)

We're a transportation company: limos, taxis, and buses.

EzGoingKev

Registered User.
Local time
I think both. I'm just the lowly IT guy. ;)

We're a transportation company: limos, taxis, and buses.
For the aftermarket parts I would suggest either the parts manufacturer's site or using Show Me The Parts online catalog interface. There is an option there to search by part number. Possibly a combination of both.

Also the big box stores usually have what else this part fits section.

For OE parts there are a lot of dealers that are selling parts online. Some of the sites are good and some are not so good to use a fitment resource.

Anything beyond that you are looking at purchasing OE data and that is pricey.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Thanks, I appreciate your advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom