String_split (1 Viewer)

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 07:05
We upgraded our SQL server recently and today I found a feature we didn't have before that is making my life very easy.

STRING_SPLIT is does what it says with a nominated deliminator just like VBA Split() except it returns a table with a separate record for each item.Microsoft introduced it in Server 2016.

I was able to write a straightforward query that selected a record, returned a file stored as binary, converted it to text, split it into lines, selected the data lines from the page headers and footer, parsed the lines using a join to a table of parameters for SubString() then Pivot the results into columns.

It nearly instantly creates a recordset from the text. I previously did this task with a pile of VBA code in Access reading from files on the file system. That process took a whole lot longer.

WayneRyan

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 20:05

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 07:05

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 16:05
You guys may have provided me with an answer to my text parsing problem. Best of all, this will be done on the server side making life a WHOLE lot better.

I can't test this until I get back to work but I thank both of you in advance...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom