Question SUMIF in access (1 Viewer)

DS82

Local time
Yesterday, 22:45
Hi All,

Looking for some help, I am creating a database to project a budget for my company. So far I have a table which contains a list of properties and the year a kitchen, bathroom, boiler etc was installed. As well as a life cycle on those components, for example a bathroom installed in 2005 would be due for replacement 2019 as well as a budgeted cost.

I created a form to show each component in a TXTbox as per attachment. what I want the form to do, when i type in a year in the box, the kitchen, bathroom and so on pre-populate as per the year typed in the box to project the cost for that year, so if I type in 2019 it would show forecasted cost. In the same way you would use the sumif on excel. The data is saved on a table so the expression would look up the values from there.

Although when I tried using =Sum(IIf... it got an Error not sure what I have done wrong or if it is even possible.

Any help would greatly appreciated.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:45
Although when I tried using =Sum(IIf... it got an Error not sure what I have done wrong or if it is even possible.
suggest provide the code you used and the error description since in principle that should work

DS82

Local time
Yesterday, 22:45
Hi CJ,

thanks for the reply, the code i used which may be wrong was

=Sum(IIf([TblComponents]![Kitchen]="[YB]",[TblComponents]![Kitchen Cost],0))

YB relates to the name of the year box where the data would be entered, which I am trying to look up, as the year may change I wouldn't want to fix this to a set year.

also the error is a simple #Error when i view the form once I have saved the code.

thanks

Last edited:

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:45
what was the error message?

if this is on a form and in the header of footer region you need to refer to the control names so suggest it should be

=Sum(IIf([txtKitchen]=[txtYB],[txtKitchen Cost],0))

I presume you have named your controls with a txt prefix as good practice

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 00:45
I have a table which contains a list of properties and the year a kitchen, bathroom, boiler etc...

[TblComponents]![Kitchen]="[YB]",[TblComponents]![Kitchen Cost]

Pretty sure you haven't set up your tables properly. You should not have a field called "Kitchen" nor "Kitchen Cost" in your tables. When you do that you are storing data in field names. "Kitchen" is a data value which means it should appear in a field of a table, not in a field name of a table. Same for its associated cost.

I suggest you complete your relationship tool, expand it so we can see all relationships and fields, take a screenshot and post it back here. Either that or post a sample of your database.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom