Windowless Forms (1 Viewer)

darkmastergyz

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:07
How can you make a form without any window around it? It seems to be really cool.

Moniker

VBA Pro
Local time
Today, 03:07
You don't do it in Access. That's sort of tricky VB or C++ or C#. Even then, it's API calls.

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 04:07
I attempted to do this at a client's request a while back and finally gave up. The two APIs that I found both required that all forms be Popup/Modal which, of course is very limiting, design-wise. The client also absolutely had to be able to preview reports, which is impossible from a popup form with the form remaining open. The other problem I ran into was that the app frequently failed to release the ldb file, requiring a complete reboot of the system in order to delete the errant file.

Ian Mac

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:07
In Access, no, sorry.

Access is just an application itself, you need build your apps in VB, C#, C++ etc as mentioned above.

Another thing, is the latest MSN messenger with its hide-away outer edge actually cool, or is it (as I find) really annoying to see that ghost window as you move it around. Just a thought.

Dom DXecutioner

AWF VIP
Local time
allow me to share my 2 cents,

How can you make a form without any window around it? It seems to be really cool.
This question is a bit vague... To have a form without a window around it, you simply set the [Border Style] property of the form to (none) but you will not be able to move the form, to do so the use of an API is required; If you wish to hide the Access container, as suggested by other members, you must use API calls to accomplish this task.

The use of API calls can be very tricky, as in some cases it can give you undesireable results. I use this technique with no problems at all.

missingling said:
The two APIs that I found both required that all forms be Popup/Modal which, of course is very limiting, design-wise.
Yes, this is somewhat true... but you can still implement good design with such limitations (imo).

missingling said:
The client also absolutely had to be able to preview reports, which is impossible from a popup form with the form remaining open.
I'll have to disagree with this portion here... As of ACC2002, you can indeed preview reports while the Access container is hidden, regardless of another form being open.

darkmastergyz

Registered User.
Local time
Could you please post the api you used to create movable windows? How can you create an outline like the one in the linked picture? Thanks!!

Dom DXecutioner

AWF VIP
Local time
if i may suggest going to the sample forums and download the ACC2000: Custom Forms - Round Edges sample and have a look at the code... there you'll find the API required to move a borderless form.

also, if you're not sure how API's work and you're programming skills are not strong, i would suggest that you do not try to use API's, if you do, exercise extreme caution.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom