Old 11-30-2019, 10:48 AM   #31
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Thanked 1,419 Times in 1,400 Posts
theDBguy has a spectacular aura about theDBguy has a spectacular aura about
Re: Conditionally present a Drop down list

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcavaiani View Post
Best wud be to not even reference a dropdown on those rows - but not seeing anyone suggest how (or IF) that can even be accomplished.
Hi. Just a guess but maybe no one suggested it because no one knows what it is you're actually trying to accomplish. If you had asked how not to reference a dropdown, I would have probably told you how. Instead, you asked how to change the list, so that's what I answered. Since we can't see what you're doing, we can only go by what you said in your posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
theDBguy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to theDBguy For This Useful Post:
dcavaiani (11-30-2019)
Old 11-30-2019, 11:13 AM   #32
dcavaiani
Newly Registered User

dcavaiani is on a distinguished road

TOPIC: Re: Conditionally present a Drop down list
dcavaiani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:30 AM   #33
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Quote:
TOPIC: Re: Conditionally present a Drop down list
Hi. But context is everything. We can't read your mind. Modifying the dropdown list is one interpretation of conditionally presenting it, which I didn't really pull out of thin air because it was literally what you wrote in your original post. But in your last post, you used the word "reference" instead of "present," which could mean something else, or at least may solicit a different answer/solution.

|
|

Last edited by theDBguy; 11-30-2019 at 11:52 AM.
dcavaiani (11-30-2019)
Old 11-30-2019, 11:32 AM   #34
dcavaiani
Newly Registered User

If I have a form based on a table with 2 fields.

If field1 = "Customer", then I want field2 to show a dropdown list from another table with 1 field in it, else no dropdown list should apply.

Not quite sure best way to approach ?
Old 11-30-2019, 12:58 PM   #35
dcavaiani
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDBguy View Post
Hi. But context is everything. We can't read your mind. Modifying the dropdown list is one interpretation of conditionally presenting it, which I didn't really pull out of thin air because it was literally what you wrote in your original post. But in your last post, you used the word "reference" instead of "present," which could mean something else, or at least may solicit a different answer/solution.
Take a BREAK, my man! U have helped me much already in the recent past, and for U to give your time and skills to help others is an awesome thing!
Old 11-30-2019, 03:18 PM   #36
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Quote:
Take a BREAK, my man! U have helped me much already in the recent past, and for U to give your time and skills to help others is an awesome thing!
Hi. Thanks. I had to go out earlier and pick our tree. Now, I'm trimming it. Later, I need to put up the lights. Good luck with your project.

|
|
dcavaiani (11-30-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 07:51 AM   #37
MajP
Newly Registered User

MajP has a spectacular aura about MajP has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
If field1 = "Customer", then I want field2 to show a dropdown list from another table with 1 field in it, else no dropdown list should apply.
Not quite sure best way to approach ?
If this is in single form view you use the on current event and the field1 afterUpdate to put the code
me.SomeCombo.visible = not isnull(me.field1)
So that will show or hide the combo based on field 1

If this is continuous view then you cannot hide the combo. You must use conditional formatting to enable/disable it. You can modify the colors as well.

With a textbox you can kind of make it invisible in a continuous form by setting the forecolor and backcolor to equal the detail sections backcolor. So it looks like it is invisible. With a combo, I doubt it will work because of the gray down arrow.

Last edited by MajP; 12-01-2019 at 08:05 AM.
MajP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MajP For This Useful Post:
dcavaiani (12-01-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 10:13 AM   #38
dcavaiani
Newly Registered User

"If this is continuous view then you cannot hide the combo. You must use conditional formatting to enable/disable it. You can modify the colors as well."

YES. It is continuous and I do know how to change colors/shading, but cannot get the code down which will enable/hide the combo - essentially switching between a text box and combo box - as I still need to be able to enter data into field2 when the row does NOT have field1="customer"

Last edited by dcavaiani; 12-01-2019 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:35 AM   #39
MajP
Newly Registered User

MajP has a spectacular aura about MajP has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
but cannot get the code down which will enable/hide the combo - essentially switching between a text box and combo box - as I still need to be able to enter data into field2 when the row does NOT have field1="customer"
You understand if you hide the combobox or modify a control in anyway it will change every representation of that control on a continuous form. Is that OK? Usually the answer is no. If that is OK then you can do the modification in the on current event and the after update. If not you are out of luck. As I said you can enable/disable in conditional format which is likely your best option
MajP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MajP For This Useful Post:
dcavaiani (12-01-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 11:08 AM   #40
dcavaiani
Newly Registered User

I think I am not gonna get this to work perfectly. The best I think I can do is to have the dropdown to always be there - but to not show any values in the dropdown - if field1 not = "Customer" - as was demonstrated for me before by DBguy.

Unfortunately, as was the case in the fully implemented Indexed IT Systems from IBM and others in years Past, and although not geared to basic normalization rules, there was what was called "Multiple Record Types" in a File, and one had the flexibility to program at will for a "given" record type as identified in the file...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: