Combo box selection (1 Viewer)

Anosmic

Local time
Today, 07:18
Ok, What I am trying to do is get a combo box to fill in an employee name by either selecting the employee name out of a list or by scanning a badge with the ID number and having it fill with the associated employee name.

One box, two options for entry. The combo box is created and has both columns in it but google has failed me on this. I probably just haven't been able to word it right.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:18
Hi. You want the combo to show the name you selected from "another" list? Was that right? If so, why can't you select the name from the Combo itself? Just curious...

PS. You might consider posting some screenshots to give us a better idea what you're dealing with.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 08:18
"the list" is the row source for the combo. That is either a value list, table or query. For your purpose, a table or query would be the way to go. To have a selection from the combo become the value of a field in a record, bind it to that field - as long as you're not using the combo to filter records. If you want the input of a scanner to become the value that's saved, you have to set the "limit to list" property to No.

Anosmic

Local time
Today, 07:18
Sorry guys, I don't think either of those suggestions is what I'm looking for.

The combo box "Row source type" is table/queary. "limit to list" is already set to No.

I don't want the name to select from another list. The name and the ID number are all ready in the combo box. I just need the ID number to be a valid selection option. Right now a user can click in the box and start typing a name. the name will auto populate from the employee column in the combo box.

What I want is for them to be able to click into the same box and scan and ID badge, that will fill the box with the id number, hit enter and have it select the name associated with the ID number.

Right now if I scan an id number in and hit enter it adds the ID number as the employee name. I've included a picture, hopefully that will help get across what I'm trying to do.

Attachments

• Empfield.jpg
    Empfield.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 53

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom