Fields not reading the same (1 Viewer)

Cindy Heppler

Local time
Today, 17:33
I am very new to Access and I am not a programmer at all. Something in my program changed and I am stuck on how to correct it. When I look at the front end everthing looks fine. When I look at the back end one of my fields are no longer reading correctly. I get the message error code 2465

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 09:33
Can you provide more on what you mean "one of my fields are no longer reading correctly"

Is the data corrupted? What version of Access are you using?

You could first off try to Compact and Repair the BE. But make a back up copy FIRST,

Cindy Heppler

Local time
I am using 2007. I already did Compact and Repair but did not make a copy of just the be. I have a table in the back end for my inventory. One of the fields is for supplier. It is set up so the supplier name shows not the auto number assigned to it. For some reason it is now showing the auto number. When I look at the same table in the front end it is showing the name like it should.

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
It could be the lookup on the SupplierID field. I personally never use these because I like to see the actual data held in the field. However...

If you open the the table in design mode, click on the lookup up tab at the bottom Field Properties, select Combo Box as the Display Control and set the Rowsource to the Supplier table.

Cindy Heppler

Local time
It is set up that way. It has actually been working great for over a year now. But for some reason it is now causing my problems. It just started giving me the error code and this is the only difference I can see in the table. Shouldn't the be table be exactly like the front end table?

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
Today, 15:33
It is set up that way. It has actually been working great for over a year now. But for some reason it is now causing my problems. It just started giving me the error code and this is the only difference I can see in the table. Shouldn't the be table be exactly like the front end table?

Is that backend table showing as a linked table in the frontend and is that what you are looking at when you open the frontend? Or are you maybe looking at two different tables. From your description it sounds like maybe two different tables. The frontend should not have any tables, other than linked tables, with some exceptions. The only non linked tables would be anything that would need to be saved in the individual frontend.

And you do have a frontend copy on each user's machine, do you not? If you are having them share one from a central location, that is not a good and proper way. They should have their own copy on their own machine.

Cindy Heppler

Local time
Are we causing the problem by getting into the linked tables and deleting data?

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
Today, 15:33
Are we causing the problem by getting into the linked tables and deleting data?

If you delete data from linked tables, then that same data will be gone for everyone else, but only you know whether that is a problem for you as we don't know your business, etc.

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
What is shows when you click on the ellipses on the right hand side of the Row Source of the field?

And one other thing, just make sure the linked table in the FE is linked to the table in the BE you are looking at, not some other version.

Cindy Heppler

Local time
I am not really sure if this is what you are looking for but this is the infomation for the supplier fieid.

SELECT [Suppliers Extended].[ID], [Suppliers Extended].[Supplier] FROM [Suppliers Extended] ORDER BY [Supplier];

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Good. And is the Bound column set to 1, the Column Count 2 and the column widths 0?

Cindy Heppler

Local time
Wow...never knew that. I have several in my tables and can not even imagine where to begin to change them aside from starting over!

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
The bound is 1, the column count is 2, but the width is 0";1"

All that looks OK. Can you copy the table into a new database, delete all records, enter a few dummy records and if the behaviour persists, post that database here.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 22:33
error 2465 is "cannot find the field".

i would check the field name and function usage carefully.

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
I would delete all Combo Boxes from the tables as a matter of urgency. It is simple to do. Just go through your tables and change Combo to Text Box. You do this in the Back End. Next do a compact and repair on the back end.

Hope you Back up often.

Go to the front end and do a relink of all your tables, Compare the Data in FE v BE it should be the same. If not you have done something wrong. In which case post back with the problem.

BTW I would be doing this on Back up copies. We don't want to damage your real data.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom