free back end server (1 Viewer)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 06:13
Does anybody know if there is any FREE server that I can put a back end so that my wife can access it from the rehab hospital she is at?

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Does anybody know if there is any FREE server that I can put a back end so that my wife can access it from the rehab hospital she is at?

What kind of server? That's pretty vague.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
What kind of server? That's pretty vague.
Sorry for being vague, it is due to the fact that outside of my using WiFi servers at locations outside my home, I don’t know much about servers, and cloud. Let me try to explain what I am trying to do, and maybe someone will know if it is possible. Now that my wife is in a rehab I am not able to sync some of our db’s unless I visit her. If I have read the cloud ad’s correctly I could put the back end on some cloud service and both her and I would always have th same data. They however charge a fee. I am wondering if there is any out there that is free.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 10:13
You seem to want everything for free. Like that free car you conned people into voting for. You need to learn life isn't like that.

Col

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
MySQL is free. How do you intend to connect your wife to it? If it is on the same computer (or local LAN) that your wife uses, there should not be a problem. I have an MS Access front-end connected to a MySQL back-end. Works fine. However, connecting to it from a "remote site" may prove difficult. Can't help you with that type of connection issue.

Here is another possibility, HSQLDB Version 2.3, but it may be limited to Linux based computers. I have no experience with it as a back-end. Again, the connection issue would remain.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Thanks for answering. I don't know how to connect to anything except WiFi that is why I am asking questions. She has WiFi where she is, so I am assuming that would be the way.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Will the front-end and the back-end be on the same computer?

------ OR ------

Do you have more than one computer and you intend to network them through the WiFi?

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Yes we have three computer. One stays with her at the rehab hospital. If I understand this concept correctly I will put a front end on her computer on my personal computer and on the back up computer, and a back end on a server. I have been reading up a little on the links people have been sending me. I imagine it is wise to keep a copy of back end on my back up computer, and/or on my external hard drive

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Thanks for that clarification. Based on what you have said, it would appear that you will need to set-up a VPN (Virtual private network). Totally beyond my ability to help. Hopefully others on this forum would be able to assist.

PS: Check the manual that came with your router as a means of verifying the capability to handle a VPN.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
You can also set it up so she can remote to the home computer she would normally use.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Thanks for that clarification. Based on what you have said, it would appear that you will need to set-up a VPN (Virtual private network). Totally beyond my ability to help. Hopefully others on this forum would be able to assist.

PS: Check the manual that came with your router as a means of verifying the capability to handle a VPN.

Are you talking about the router (Verizon) that I use to get on the net?

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
You can also set it up so she can remote to the home computer she would normally use.

You lost me. Are you talking about if she ever comes home from the rehab, which is iffy right now? If she does come home she would be using the same computer and if she is here it would not be a problem as I can sync the db's over a LAN that I have at the house or when I bring it in the RV. It's only now that we are separated that I am have trouble with synchronizing. Basically what I a trying to do, is the same thing I do with my LAN escept over the net, and at no cost, and actually at this point I am more just trying to educate myself about remote access through cloud technology. Any questions I have I always try Google them first, but sometimes I find that I didn't ask the right question.:D

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
Today, 03:13
You lost me. Are you talking about if she ever comes home from the rehab, which is iffy right now? If she does come home she would be using the same computer and if she is here it would not be a problem as I can sync the db's over a LAN that I have at the house or when I bring it in the RV. It's only now that we are separated that I am have trouble with synchronizing. Basically what I a trying to do, is the same thing I do with my LAN escept over the net, and at no cost, and actually at this point I am more just trying to educate myself about remote access through cloud technology. Any questions I have I always try Google them first, but sometimes I find that I didn't ask the right question.:D

Dick:

He's telling you that she, using that computer she currently has, can connect to her own computer at home directly by using Remote Desktop Protocal (RDP). Read this to find out how:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/connect-using-remote-desktop-connection

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Dick:

He's telling you that she, using that computer she currently has, can connect to her own computer at home directly by using Remote Desktop Protocal (RDP). Read this to find out how:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/connect-using-remote-desktop-connection

Thanks for the link, that's the kind of stuff I am looking for, and I will check it out just as soon as I log out here.

She is using her own computer. I had to bring her computer from home to rehab. They do have a hospital computer in the library, but she can't bring it to her room, and most of the time it is occupied by other residents, staff, or visitor. She has all the db's both front end and back end on her pc, and when I visit I bring my pc and will sync them manually. The problem rises when she does some data entry and doesn't tell me.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Are you talking about the router (Verizon) that I use to get on the net?
Yes. In thinking about it, two routers would actually be involved. One at the rehab center, the other at your house.

Also note the advice by SOS. So it would appear that you have at least two options for making a remote connection. I am not familiar with either approach, beyond being dimly aware of their existence.

Last edited:

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Enabling RDP is not available on Home editions of Windows.

nanscombe

Registered User.
Local time
If you can load software, and are connected to the internet, could you use Dropbox?

2Gb of storage for free. If you didn't want to move the entire BE around create yourself an export routine to export any relevant bits.

You wouldn't want to run the BE from the Dropbox folder though.

What you could do is:
Copy the BE to the Dropbox folder
Dropbox will sync it to all of the computers using the same account
Copy the BE out of Dropbox
Update it as required
Copy it back to Dropbox
Dropbox will sync it to all of the computers using the same account (again)
Copy the BE where it came from originally.

As I said previously, you could create a routine to do most of this for you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom