Relational fields (1 Viewer)

critter

Local time
Yesterday, 21:09
I'm sure this is a super easy question for all of you but I'm relatively new to this and don't want to screw it up. Disclosure: I actually run a relational database in my day job...but haven't built one from scratch. I am familiar with the basics of Access and have very advanced Word/Excel knowledge.

I want to build an Access db to track world travels. Trip dates, countries visited, hotels, memorable meals or sites seen, etc. I have 'countries' as a lookup field against a table that lists them all. How best do I set up cities and hotels to be dependent on each? For example, maybe I've been to Paris 3 times but stayed in two different hotels. On one of the trips I also went to Germany so that trip has to have both Germany and France as countries, each with dependent cities and within those cities, hotels and restaurants. How do I relate them all to each other? I want to eventually be able to query on a certain city and see where I stayed and ate (and if I get super fancy, a 1-5 rating for each!).

Thank you in advance!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

Have you started to create your table structure? If so, you might consider posting a screenshot of your Relationship Window to give us a better idea on how to best help you.

critter

Local time
Thank you! My db is so basic I'm embarrassed to share but this is what I have so far: Access.PNG

I am starting with cataloging my grandmother's trips (hence the dates). I am trying to follow in her footsteps but need a way to organize the information, which is currently kept in longhand notebooks and albums.

The basics are fine but I need to build a connection between hotel, city and country so that when I'm ready to go to, say, Bermuda, I can see what hotels she stayed in on various trips. Thank you for your warm welcome!

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Yesterday, 23:09
hello critter,

there are many things you can do with this. I would say it all depends on how you want to look at your stuff when it's reported back to you. for instance, if you don't mind looking at non-relational data, then what you have already is just fine. but if you wanna set up a relational structure then you should probably have table 1 'TRIPS' that has TRIP NUMBER as an autonumber and PK field, table 2 'COUNTRIES VISITED' that has 'TRIP NUMBER' as a LONG field and FK to table 1's autonumber and it's own autonumber as well as a PK, then table 3 'HOTELS STAYED AT' that has 'COUNTRY ID' as a LONG field and FK to table 2's autnumber field and it's own autonumber as well as a PK.

this will give you 3 relational tables. your picture obvioulsy shows more fields in your only table, but they are not visible so it's possible to set up even a deeper nested structure than this. but even though I've give you 3 possible tables to set up, you can even go crazier by putting 'memorable meals' in their own table as separate records as well and relate it to table 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom