Go Back   Access World Forums > Apps and Windows > Windows

Old 06-29-2007, 06:31 AM   #1
vasylk

vasylk is on a distinguished road
computer problems

Hi, I'm using windows XP professional with a 2.8Ghz processor, 1.024 RAM and 80Gb HDD. I have five user names on my PC however only four of the five user names work fast (when i open my computer, control panel or the internet on one of the log ins my computer works very slowly.)
Could anybody help me to solve this problem? What should i do to fix it?
Thank-you!

vasylk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:39 AM   #2
Squidinker

Squidinker is on a distinguished road
Comparison should help. Open up a fast profile and press CTRL+ALT+DEL and bring up task manager.

Switch to the Processes tab an note how many processes are running, how much memory they use and whether they are taxing the processor(s). Best way is to just print screen the whole list.

Then switch to the slow profile and do the same. See if there are extra processes in there or ones using more memory or CPU.

That should be a start.

If you have extra processes which are slowing the system down you can remove them from startup by pressing Start>Run and typing in "msconfig". The Startup tab contains all of the processes the system starts when windows is first loaded.
BE CAREFUL REMOVING THESE! Make sure you know what you are removing and that they are not integral to the system.
If you are not sure, increase the size of the 'command' column to get the filename of the process and google it to find out its purpose.
Squidinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:58 AM   #3
Minkey
Newly Registered User

Minkey will become famous soon enough
Another thing to check is on the slow account do a full anti-virus/ spyware and adware scan, most would install for all users but you might find something out of order with this specific account. In fact you might even find it in msconfig using Squidinker advice.

.................................................. .....................

Schrodinger's cat walks into a bar........and doesn't
Minkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 11:41 PM   #4
vasylk

vasylk is on a distinguished road
computer slow

Computer starts up not too bad. in my user name the slowest when im opening 'windows task manager', processors(running 81 processors) CPU usage showing 4%, 6%..... when im trying to open my documents, my computer, control panel, internet and so on, CPU usage still shows 100%. computer is serching but very slow and come into freezing position. in windows task manager CPU usage 100%, whereas iexplorer.exe has memory usage of around 125 600(should there be a comma between the numbers like in other user names 126,600?), and CPU around 94. what can be the problem? what goes into explorer that could be taking so much space?

thanx

vasylk is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: