Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Modules & VBA

Old 02-07-2019, 12:03 PM   #16
theDBguy
Im here to help

Thanked 1,685 Times in 1,640 Posts
theDBguy has a spectacular aura about theDBguy has a spectacular aura about
Re: Exporting Database to XML

Hi. Just a thought... If you add the dbFailOnError parameter, you might get a message why the code fails sometimes. For example:

db.Execute strSQL, dbFailOnError

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
theDBguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to theDBguy For This Useful Post:
LinksAwakener (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 02:03 PM   #17
Cronk
Newly Registered User

Cronk will become famous soon enough Cronk will become famous soon enough

Re #8
Quote:
I'll have different instances of this same Access program on different machines, and users will be able to send their database (as a single exportable file easily emailed or shared in other ways) to another user, who can then import the database.
This to me sounds like you have not split your database ie tables,queries,forms etc are all in the one database file and you only want to export the data.
Why not split the data tables into a back end file and send that accdb file to other users.

Your response above seems to imply several users are adding/editing data. How are you going to synchronize changes?
Cronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:12 PM   #18
LinksAwakener
Newly Registered User

LinksAwakener is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronk View Post
Re #8

This to me sounds like you have not split your database ie tables,queries,forms etc are all in the one database file and you only want to export the data.
Why not split the data tables into a back end file and send that accdb file to other users.

Your response above seems to imply several users are adding/editing data. How are you going to synchronize changes?
The database is split into back-end and front-end. The feature request from the users was specifically that they want to have the ability to back up and restore using XML files.

The users have no need to merge data; each person is going to have their own records. I can't get into much detail, but you can think of it like this; each user's version of this software is going to contain their own personal notes on a particular item. This is meaningful to share between users once in a while, but having everyone on one back-end would muddy the waters.

I was able to implement a solution, fully functional. I had to do things the hard way: test each table as it was imported for dependency complaints. When there was a complaint, rearrange the import procedure to import that particular table later and test again. I hate hard-coding all those tables like that, but when there's dependency constraints and it has to be done in a specific order...\_(ツ)_/

LinksAwakener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:14 PM   #19
theDBguy
Im here to help

Thanked 1,685 Times in 1,640 Posts
theDBguy has a spectacular aura about theDBguy has a spectacular aura about

Hi. Congratulations! Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Good luck!

|
|
theDBguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:17 PM   #20
Gasman
Enthusiastic Amateur

Gasman is a jewel in the rough Gasman is a jewel in the rough Gasman is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinksAwakener View Post
I hate hard-coding all those tables like that, but when there's dependency constraints and it has to be done in a specific order...\_(ツ)_/
So no doubt you could create a table which would show the order that they need to be imported and could be amended easily should that change.?

Please, please use code tag # when posting code snippets

Gasman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
export , vba , xml

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: