Go Back   Access World Forums > Access World > The Watercooler

Old 09-02-2019, 04:10 AM   #1
Uncle Gizmo
Nifty Access Guy

Thanked 1,008 Times in 950 Posts
Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via Skype™ to Uncle Gizmo
Rant - Microsoft

Rant - Microsoft have done it again ... Recent MS upgrades, and now my folders are showing me files from a long time ago, last year, last month, last week, yesterday and today, in separate categories...

Now I don't begrudge new features, but come on Microsoft it's polite to ask before you change how things work and look.

I'm now stressed and getting more and more frustrated because I can't work like I usually do. I've got to jump through your bloody hoops yet again!

It would have been nice to have been told:- "we've got this new feature would you like to try it?" Then I would have been nice and relaxed, would have made up my mind if I wanted it or not....

-------------oOo---U---oOo-------------
|                                     |
|      Uncle Gizmo              |
|  
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| | Ooo | |_________________ooO____( )________| ( ) ) / \ ( (_/ \_)
Uncle Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 04:29 AM   #2
NauticalGent
Pristine Curmudgeon
Gold Supporter

NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about
Re: Rant - Microsoft

When you have no competition, you can do as you please...sad, sorry situation we have allowed ourselves to be put in.
Uncle Gizmo (09-02-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 05:05 AM   #3
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Thanked 3,332 Times in 3,006 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

Tony
Do you mean looking like this?

If so, the feature isn't new and can easily be changed.
In the View menu, select Group By and change to None ...or whatever you prefer
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (53.4 KB, 118 views)

Colin (Mendip Data Systems)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Website links:

Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam
He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy : Monty Python - The Life of Brian (Terry Jones - RIP)
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:09 AM   #4
AccessBlaster

AccessBlaster has a spectacular aura about AccessBlaster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Gizmo View Post
Rant - Microsoft have done it again ... Recent MS upgrades, and now my folders are showing me files from a long time ago, last year, last month, last week, yesterday and today, in separate categories...

Now I don't begrudge new features, but come on Microsoft it's polite to ask before you change how things work and look.

I'm now stressed and getting more and more frustrated because I can't work like I usually do. I've got to jump through your bloody hoops yet again!

It would have been nice to have been told:- "we've got this new feature would you like to try it?" Then I would have been nice and relaxed, would have made up my mind if I wanted it or not....
I doubt we own these copies, I think we just rent. I could be wrong.
AccessBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:04 AM   #5
Uncle Gizmo
Nifty Access Guy

Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by isladogs View Post
Tony
Do you mean looking like this?

If so, the feature isn't new and can easily be changed.
In the View menu, select Group By and change to None ...or whatever you prefer
Thank you Colin! That solved it! I can't understand why they change my folders? I never changed it, I never change anything if I can help it!
|  
Old 09-02-2019, 08:06 AM   #6
NauticalGent
Pristine Curmudgeon
Gold Supporter

NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
, I never change anything if I can help it!
I am hoping socks and underwear are exceptions...?
Old 09-02-2019, 08:32 AM   #7
Uncle Gizmo
Nifty Access Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NauticalGent View Post
I am hoping socks and underwear are exceptions...?
At least once a week!

|  
Old 09-02-2019, 09:15 AM   #8
Gasman
Enthusiastic Amateur

Gasman is a jewel in the rough Gasman is a jewel in the rough Gasman is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
At least once a week!
Whether they need them or not.

Please, please use code tag # when posting code snippets

Gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 02:52 PM   #9
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,731 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

Those of us who are married are frequently reminded by our spouses that it might be time to either change underwear or sleep in the dog house - thought it might be unfair to the dog, which probably has a sensitive nose too.
The_Doc_Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:38 PM   #10
moke123
AWF VIP

moke123 will become famous soon enough

I wasn't too thrilled with MS myself this morning. I woke up and had a "re-start to install updates" message and hit yes without thinking as I went to make coffee. THREE HOURS later the win10 update finished.
moke123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:00 PM   #11
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

That used to be the bane of our existence with the Navy. We had such a nasty schedule constraint that we had to download patches and test them on a test box first to see how long they would take. We had to clear the down time. For most of the projects, an extra hour late at night was no biggie. But some of our servers were in 24-hour service. Those always required extra gyrations.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:35 AM   #12
kevlray
Newly Registered User

kevlray will become famous soon enough

Our origanization uses a third party software to do update to our computers (OS, mail, Office, etc.). Unfortunately we get a message that states our computer will need to be rebooted within (3-4 hours), there is no getting around it. Either you re-boot or it will do it automatically. Hopefully we have not started a process that may take a long time to complete.
kevlray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:46 AM   #13
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

That forced reboot is one reason why our PC support (internal) team at the Navy resisted going to Win10 for so long. When we are supporting warfighters, we CANNOT be out of touch with our systems for a long time and CANNOT be interrupted if we are doing critical application functions. A forced reboot simply isn't allowed.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:38 PM   #14
Gasman
Enthusiastic Amateur

Gasman is a jewel in the rough Gasman is a jewel in the rough Gasman is a jewel in the rough

FWIW I use this until I decide I want the update.

I run it as a .cmd file

Code:
Rem stop windows update
sc config "wuauserv" start= disabled
sc stop "wuauserv"
rem Pause
rem net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
net stop dosvc
I have it run at startup and task scheduler every hour, as I found windows changed it back sometimes

Please, please use code tag # when posting code snippets

Gasman is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: