Linked Table to Exchange Public Folder Mail items (1 Viewer)

Olstar

Local time
Today, 11:52
Hello,
We have created a simple database in order to managed a small team working on a help desk.

A critical way this operates is by having a mail enabled public folder in exchange. When we create the linked table in the Access Database for one user the linked table pulls in the mail items and we are able to view the items in a form view to carry out actions without issues.

We have a problem though when this database is shared and opened by another user, as the linked table is static to the user it was setup with. A second user receives and error referring to MAPI information not available. I know why this is as when i look at the Linked table manager i see the local path to a temp file on the originals users PC.

Is there a way i can create the linked table to the exchange public folder in a way that allows us to share the database with multiple users? Does the linked table manager have to link through Outlook or can it be done in the back ground with stored credentials?

Many thanks in advance.
Olstar

HiTechCoach

Local time
Today, 05:52
Hello,
We have created a simple database in order to managed a small team working on a help desk.

A critical way this operates is by having a mail enabled public folder in exchange. When we create the linked table in the Access Database for one user the linked table pulls in the mail items and we are able to view the items in a form view to carry out actions without issues.

We have a problem though when this database is shared and opened by another user, as the linked table is static to the user it was setup with. A second user receives and error referring to MAPI information not available. I know why this is as when i look at the Linked table manager i see the local path to a temp file on the originals users PC.

Is there a way i can create the linked table to the exchange public folder in a way that allows us to share the database with multiple users? Does the linked table manager have to link through Outlook or can it be done in the back ground with stored credentials?

Many thanks in advance.
Olstar

Olstar,

Sounds like multiple user are opting the same database at the same time. If this is true then you will only continue to have issues or work database corruption.

To properly share a database you should first split the database into a front end and back end. Each =user will have their own copy of the front end that is NOT shared. This will probably solved your issue.

See:
Splitting your Access database into application and data

Let us know if that helps.

SimonB1978

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:52
I had a similar problem using the Exchange GAL (Global Adress List).

I don't recall the exact steps I did, but when you create the link it will create a Schema.ini file on your computer (or in your profile?). I then copied this ini file on the network, where the back-end resides. You can then create the link to the Exchange object with the Schema.ini file that is on the network. The Exchange-linked object should now be available to everyone.

HTH

Simon B.

ej256

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:52
Sorry to bump something from six years ago, but I came across this thread and am having the same exact problem as OP (and my database is already split). I wasn't able to find the Schema.ini file that was mentioned either. Does anybody else have a solution for this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom