from version 1992 to version 2016 (1 Viewer)

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 06:11
Who here has been around since the birth of access? I remember working with access 1992 when it came out, and that was just out of curiosity and how I became interested in programming. I made follow up calls for my father's financial planning seminars using automated dialing in access 1997, which he coded and set up for me. I've used 92, 97, 2000, 2003, 2007, 2010 and 2013 although I'm currently working in 2010.

What is everyone's favorite features of access and their least favorites? What do you wish they would bring back that has been deprecated? What do you think was a bad idea to introduce?

I remember the ribbon being introduced in 2007 and I thought that was a terrible idea. If I remember right, that didn't last long, and they transitioned to a similar look that we have now. I believe the data macros were introduced in 2010? and I've never been a fan of those. I think the macro creation interface also changed somewhere between 2003 and 2010.

My biggest gripe about converting one version to another was the fact that I would constantly get the error "unrecognized database format" after opening an accdb file with the newer version and then opening it again with an older version. I never did figure this one out, so as a workout around I took note of the problem and just used the appropriate version to open accdb files and develop them. I would be interested to hear if anyone else encountered this and was able to fix it. Perhaps it had something to do with the system objects and their structures in the newer version that came out at that time?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
My first version of Access was 2.0 under Win 3.1, which was an OK setup.

Before that, I used Paradox for DOS, which I liked, But when Borland created Paradox for Windows, I feel that they screwed the pooch by leaving out events that even Windows itself would have recognized. I felt, after side-by-side comparison, that Access was the superior product, and I have never looked back.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 11:11
The first version of Access was 1.0 which I still have on a VM

I also have VMs for all other versions of Access. In my opinion, A97 was the first mature version and that A2003 together with A2010 were the most stable and feature rich versions. I still use A2010 as my main development platform though I have Office 365 as well.

As for the ribbon, its much the same as it was when introduced in A2007 except it can now easily be minimised/hidden. I've grown to like it though not the hurdles of creating new ribbons.

The unrecognised database format error occurs whenever an app with a new 'structural' feature is opened in a previous version. For example if you tick the option to allow bigint support in A2016/2019/365 then open it in A2010/2013

Last edited:

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Paul, it says version 1.0 was released in Nov 1992 so yes technically there was. I just didn't say "version 1.0".

I also have VMs for all other versions of Access.
VM, as in Virtual Machine?

Same here no inteli sence made things interesting lol
The IDE's I have installed on my laptop are for Visual Studio 2019, Dreamweaver, PHP's Eclipse, Python and Android Studio, and all of them contain the intellisense feature.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:11
Access 2000 or Office 2000 not sure, that version of Northwind is still my go to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom