Data form for many contact types (1 Viewer)

JohanH

Local time
Today, 07:43
I would like to develop a form for data entry that will input “Contact Details” into a “Contact Table”. This I find easy to understand if I am only creating one record at a time and the one record is input into an underlying table. However the challenge for me is that my form will need to show many different types of “Contacts”, for example “Owner”. “Architect”, ”Engineer”, ”Builder”, “Agent”, etc.
Each “Contact Type” will need to relate to a project reference or ID; I assume this will be via programming at or on form level. So one project can have many Contacts easily referenced and related.
For each “Contact” record I would like the “Contact Type” to be enforced via use of (I’m guessing a sub-form), so for example a Form representing project 007, the sub form will collect data for example the “Owner”, the owner field being pre populated because the owner sub-form is operating or used.
It will be nice if each sub-form as it is used and data collected and saved to the underlying table is turned to grey confirming operation of the sub-form, perhaps some control via VBA and a command button?
Thank you in advance J

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
First of all, welcome to AWF.

You have told us about your project but not your level of experience.
It would help to do that as it assists those responding in knowing how to pitch their answer.

I would first suggest you look at the contacts sample database provided by MS.
It may do what you need.
There are also various examples in the sample databases area of this forum.

Then I would suggest reposting this in the most appropriate section of the forum e.g database design. When you do so, please explain what you have done so far and where you are stuck. Probably best to do this in small steps rather than ask for a complete solution

Good luck

JohanH

Local time
Thank you for your reply I will need to get the post/issue worked out a bit more, I'm not very experienced with developing DB but have read and viewed many aspect relating to the subject. I think I need to have my underlying table include an ID for each record, this is easy enough it happens when you add a record set. However for the record set to relate to another table i need to include the ID for the table. I hoping I can manage this via a form. When I tried this with Access toolkit the fields available seem limited. I've tried a table for each Contact Type that seems possible but not very elegant. I'll keep on at it hopefully the penny will drop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom