barcode scan GUI (1 Viewer)

DirkWagemans

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:36
Hey guys,

Only recently started to explore MS Access further and I was unable to find a solution to the following:
At my company we have a barcode scanner that will input the scanned data as clear text into the selected field.
What I am trying to do is as follows:
1) Scan a custom made barcode.
2) A GUI should pop up in Access and lock the data in the corresponding field rather than instantly inputting the scanned data in the selected field.
3) Two other fields should be in the GUI allowing the selection of quantity and selecting a user (an employee table exists).
4) Optionally input the data into the user field from an RFID scan for security and preventing mistakes.
5) Automatically edit the input data in the tables.

Sorry for the heap of questions, I am quite a newbie when it comes to Access still.

Hopefully this is enough information.
Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Dirk

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 21:36
I think you are expecting a bit too much of a response for one question on a forum.
What have you tried so far ?
What particular part of this are currently stuck on. Just as a kick off;

1) Scan a custom made barcode. - This is no different to scanning any other barcode. In order for the barcode reader to interpret it correctly it will have to conform to one of the normal barcode standards. Does it?
The barcode reader is simply another way of inputting text to your system - an automated keyboard. They can be made to effectively send an "Enter" or "Tab" after a scan is completed.

DirkWagemans

Registered User.
Local time
Hey Minty,

Thank you, I thought it might be too much for a single question.
To kick off I would like the barcode scanned data to be input not in the selected field, but in a new field, inside a GUI where I can protect the field from having text entered manually, only through a barcode scan.

So maybe a macro the recognises a scan is made, that will open the GUI and that will enter the scanned data in the field.

Last edited:

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Hey Minty,

Thank you, I thought it might be too much for a single question.
To kick off I would like the barcode scanned data to be input not in the selected field, but in a new field, inside a GUI where I can protect the field from having text entered manually, only through a barcode scan.

So maybe a macro the recognises a scan is made, that will open the GUI and that will enter the scanned data in the field.

The only way I can think of doing this would be to have some form of pre-scanned code that would identify that the barcode reader was providing the input.

So on the operators bench / desk area you would make them scan something that had a specific code on it, lets say the string "^7sjjjsYTrevpmhen&%f2o0B" - eg something they are highly unlikely to type in by error or even design.

If that is the input made to a hidden control, then unlock your "fixed" data entry field, and await the next scan. However there is still nothing I can think of (Short of not letting them have a keyboard) that would prevent a user manually entering data into the now enabled text box.

As I said earlier the scanner is only an additional way of capturing data input, unless you can hook in to some form of API that can recognise that it's NOT a keyboard.

You may need to just trust your operatives to be use the scanner when its appropriate. What if the barcode is damaged and they need to manually type it in?

DirkWagemans

Registered User.
Local time
Hello Minty,

Thanks for your reply, it gives me a good understanding of what is possible.
Now I was wondering, can I make a macro that would detect a barcode scan, saves that input in the background, opens a GUI, selects the correct field and inputs the data?
This would make it so people don't have to select the field and also don't need to open the menu. It's not mandatory, but my main focus in this project is as little user interaction required as possible.
So "detect scan" "save input in background" "Open GUI (Form)" "Select field" "Input scanned data".

It may be too much to ask at once, but if I at least know if this is possible, it would greatly help me.

Thanks in advance!

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
As I have said before you can't reliably detect just a scan. And unless you already have a form open you can't get any input of any type.

How do you determine which record you are updating with the barcode?

Have a method to select the record you want to update and populate that on to your form. Set the forms focus to an unbound control. Get the user to scan the barcode into the unbound field, with an "Enter" sent by the scanner.

In the after update event of the unbound control, perform some validation if possible to ensure the data scanned is relevant.
Assuming the data is valid update the field you want updated.

All of the above could probably be done with minimal user typing depending on the scenario.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom