Combox Box Issue (1 Viewer)

BillBee

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:09
I have just transferred all data to a new computer and have found a problem. I created a file which several people use so there is a file in different folders for each person. The same error is occuring on each file. A combo box shows the dropbox list of the numbers in a field from a table correctly. When I open the Form the cursor flashes five times then stops. When I try to type a number to move closer to the desired number, into combo box nothing happens, it does not write, but the cursor starts flashing for 5 times again. If I scroll to the number to the desired number in field and press enter it works fine. If I press the enter or tab key the next process works perfectly.
Any help would be appreciated. :banghead:

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 13:09
Compact and repair your db.

BillBee

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks. Should have thought of that myself. Not sure I should be asking here or creating a new Post, but here goes. While talking of Compacting and Repairing my DB file is approx 7MB. I have it set to compact on close via Options, current database and ticking the box "Compact on Close". Is this the suitable or not? Does this action also compact and repair?
Thanks again for you help.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 13:09
That has same effect as the manual cp.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:09
Most experts are leary of the compact on close setting. It isn't necessary at all if you use good techniques in the FE and don't cause bloat. As for the BE, it is opened and closed constantly during the day so you would never set the BE to compact on close. The best solution for compacting is to use one of the tools created by FMSINC.com. Those will compact the BE on a schedule but only if it is closed.

During development, the FE bloats constantly because of all the changes you are making to objects. Best practice is to back up the FE - I do it by zipping the FE and dating the zip and then compacting the FE so it is clean for the start of the next day's work.

BillBee

Registered User.
Local time
I do not have the database split into FE and Be. I would like to change from the Compact on close. I am using Office 16 and when the file is open and I click on the file tab top left of screen and it displays the Compact and Repair then. I know that you cannot compact and repair while a file is open but when I use the contol above the file does not seem to close, in the bottom right hand side you see the action take by a black line moving across the box and then the file reopens. I was wondering as I have a Form that has several controls that used to remove and reset data annually. Is there a way of creating a control on this Form that would perform the same thing.

BillBee

Registered User.
Local time
Is it possible to create a contol on a form within the file such as mentioned where an annual cleanup to delete unwanted data and reset data must be completed which would mean an annual C & R.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:09
I created a file which several people use
I do not have the database split into FE and Be.
if this means your users are all using the same access file then you have a problem and if you don't address it you risk corruption - it is quite likely the problem you were experiencing before compacting is an early sign of corruption.

The standard setup is to always split the db, with the backend on the network and each user having their own copy of the front end on their local drive.

but perhaps you have already done this - I don't know what this means
so there is a file in different folders for each person

BillBee

Registered User.
Local time
No. Each user is running their own file. A document within each file is different. I have been told the size of file and separate users would not require a division into fe and be.

BillBee

Registered User.
Local time
I have to go back to 1st Post. The issue has arisen again. Cursor flashes 5 times then stops. Can scroll down to desired number, press enter, number shows in combox space correctly and press enter next procedure works correctly. Tried creating new combo box, new subform. Open other access files and same thing is happening. Any help would be appreciated.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:09
Can you post the code for the form and tell us the name of the combo if it isn't obvious.

BillBee

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry to bother you but something is not quite right on my new laptop. I need to turn number key each time the computer on as I have a pin to to access the computer. When I open any access file I have to press the number key again. At present my thoughts are more a small computer glitch than a file problem. Thanks to all who posted replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom