DLookup Multi-criteria (1 Viewer)

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Today, 17:53
Can someone tell me what I am missing here please?

Why does this work?
Code:
pubSwitchRequestID = DLookup("swrSwitchRequestID", "tblSwitchReport", "swrComplete = False")
pubSwitchRequestID = DLookup("swrSwitchRequestID", "tblSwitchReport", "swrCanceled = False")

and this doesn't?

Code:
        pubSwitchRequestID = DLookup("swrSwitchRequestID", "tblSwitchReport", "swrComplete = False" And "swrCanceled = False")

I get a "Type Mismatch" error.

Thanks, I always have trouble with multiple criteria.

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Today, 14:53
This is a problem with strings, not with multiple criteria. The expression should be ...
Code:
"swrComplete = False And swrCanceled = False"
...but when you do...
Code:
"swrComplete = False" And "swrCanceled = False"
...you are attempting to And two strings together, but And is not a valid operation on strings, thus, you get a type mismatch.
hth
Mark

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The two examples don't do the same thing.

Your compound condition doesn't work because it is not formatted correctly. The quotes are misplaced.
Code:
pubSwitchRequestID = DLookup("swrSwitchRequestID", "tblSwitchReport", "swrComplete = False And swrCanceled = False")
Better because it is easier to debug -
Code:
Dim strCriteria
strCriteria = "swrComplete = False And swrCanceled = False"
pubSwitchRequestID = DLookup("swrSwitchRequestID", "tblSwitchReport", strCriteria)
You can always print strCriteria to the debug window so you can see what your string actually looks like. You would see that yours looks like

"swrComplete = False"

and the rest is confusing the compiler since it doesn't expect anything to follow the criteria expression.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
The two examples don't do the same thing.

Your compound condition doesn't work because it is not formatted correctly. The quotes are misplaced.
Code:
pubSwitchRequestID = DLookup("swrSwitchRequestID", "tblSwitchReport", "swrComplete = False And swrCanceled = False")
Better because it is easier to debug -
Code:
Dim strCriteria
strCriteria = "swrComplete = False And swrCanceled = False"
pubSwitchRequestID = DLookup("swrSwitchRequestID", "tblSwitchReport", strCriteria)
You can always print strCriteria to the debug window so you can see what your string actually looks like. You would see that yours looks like

"swrComplete = False"

and the rest is confusing the compiler since it doesn't expect anything to follow the criteria expression.

That is way better.

This is a serious Eureka moment. Thank you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom