Annual Report based by month (1 Viewer)

GrayLowe

Local time
Yesterday, 18:33
Hi All, I have a database that collects demographic numerics on multiple fields on a daily basis. I am trying to create a report that will show totals only for each field based on each month of the year. I have set up a report with the months of the year across the top and the fields running down the report. I have created a field under each column for each of the fields of the report. Here is where I am struggling because I do not know how to populate the control source for each of these fields. I can do it through a query which has the months down the side and the multiple fields summed at the top, but this would be to big for a report. Please help. Thank you.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. Have you tried using a crosstab query for your report?

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Yesterday, 20:33
Without specifics of your table(s)/field(s) we can only give generic advice like use a crosstab. If you could provide some sample data we can be more specific in our help. So to do that please provide 2 sets of data:

A. Starting data from your table(s). Include table and field names and enough data to cover all cases.

B. Expected results of A. Show what you hope to end up with when you feed in the data from A.

Again, 2 sets of data, no more explanations, just demonstrate it with data.

GrayLowe

Local time
Thanks for the quick answers, I have uploaded the Demographics table in xlsx format. I hope to get totals for each month over a year period.
Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Last edited:

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 17:33
That data structure is not normalized. Will need to use a UNION query to arrange in normalized structure then use that query in CROSSTAB.

GrayLowe

Local time
Thanks June 7. Will look up how to normalize and then learn about union queries.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 17:33
Here is a start. There is a limit of 50 SELECT lines in UNION. There is no wizard or designer, must type or copy/paste in SQLView of query builder. First SELECT line defines field names and types.

Query1: DemoUNION
Code:
SELECT ID, demDate, Year(demDate) AS Yr, Format(demDate, "mmm") AS Mo, dem19 AS Data, "19" AS Cat FROM Demographics
UNION SELECT ID, demDate, Year(demDate), Format(demDate, "mmm"), dem2040, "2040" FROM Demographics
UNION SELECT ID, demDate, Year(demDate), Format(demDate, "mmm"), dem4160, "4160" FROM Demographics
UNION SELECT ID, demDate, Year(demDate), Format(demDate, "mmm"), dem61plus, "61plus" FROM Demographics
UNION SELECT ID, demDate, Year(demDate), Format(demDate, "mmm"), demFemale, "F" FROM Demographics
UNION SELECT ID, demDate, Year(demDate), Format(demDate, "mmm"), demOther, "O" FROM Demographics
UNION SELECT ID, demDate, Year(demDate), Format(demDate, "mmm"), demMale, "M" FROM Demographics
UNION SELECT ID, demDate, Year(demDate), Format(demDate, "mmm"), demAboriginal, "A" FROM Demographics
UNION SELECT ID, demDate, Year(demDate), Format(demDate, "mmm"), demEthnic, "E" FROM Demographics
UNION SELECT ID, demDate, Year(demDate), Format(demDate, "mmm"), demNonAboriginal, "NonA" FROM Demographics
UNION SELECT ID, demDate, Year(demDate), Format(demDate, "mmm"), wssNonLegalAdv, "NonL" FROM Demographics
UNION SELECT ID, demDate, Year(demDate), Format(demDate, "mmm"), wssBirthControl, "BC" FROM Demographics
UNION SELECT ID, demDate, Year(demDate), Format(demDate, "mmm"), wssBusTickets, "BT" FROM Demographics
UNION SELECT ID, demDate, Year(demDate), Format(demDate, "mmm"), wssNonSTVCounselling, "STV" FROM Demographics
UNION SELECT ID, demDate, Year(demDate), Format(demDate, "mmm"), wssCrisis,"C" FROM Demographics
UNION SELECT ID, demDate, Year(demDate), Format(demDate, "mmm"), wssHealthInfoReferral, "H" FROM Demographics
UNION SELECT ID, demDate, Year(demDate), Format(demDate, "mmm"), wssIncomeTax, "I" FROM Demographics
UNION SELECT ID, demDate, Year(demDate), Format(demDate, "mmm"), wssMiscInfoRefer, "M" FROM Demographics
UNION SELECT ID, demDate, Year(demDate), Format(demDate, "mmm"), wssLGBTQ, "LGBTQ" FROM Demographics
UNION SELECT ID, demDate, Year(demDate), Format(demDate, "mmm"), wssDonationsClosetNumberBags, "D" FROM Demographics
UNION SELECT ID, demDate, Year(demDate), Format(demDate, "mmm"), wssProBono, "P" FROM Demographics
UNION SELECT ID, demDate, Year(demDate), Format(demDate, "mmm"), wssSupport, "S" FROM Demographics
UNION SELECT ID, demDate, Year(demDate), Format(demDate, "mmm"), wssNumPeopleUsingCloset, "N" FROM Demographics
UNION SELECT ID, demDate, Year(demDate), Format(demDate, "mmm"), wssClosetVolunteerHrs, "CVH" FROM Demographics
UNION SELECT ID, demDate, Year(demDate), Format(demDate, "mmm"), povFoodShelf, "FS" FROM Demographics
UNION SELECT ID, demDate, Year(demDate), Format(demDate, "mmm"), povFoodHampersDist, "FH" FROM Demographics
UNION SELECT ID, demDate, Year(demDate), Format(demDate, "mmm"), gfbGoodFoodBoxesSld, "G" FROM Demographics
UNION SELECT ID, demDate, Year(demDate), Format(demDate, "mmm"), gfbAmntFoodPurchased, "AFP" FROM Demographics
UNION SELECT ID, demDate, Year(demDate), Format(demDate, "mmm"), safApplicantsWWHA, "AW" FROM Demographics;
I was lazy with the Cat values, use whatever you want. If you don't have an ID field then remove that.

Query2
Code:
TRANSFORM Sum(DemoUNION.Data) AS SumOfData
SELECT DemoUNION.Yr, DemoUNION.Cat
FROM DemoUNION
GROUP BY DemoUNION.Yr, DemoUNION.Cat
PIVOT DemoUNION.Mo In ("Jan","Feb","Mar","Apr","May","Jun","Jul","Aug","Sep","Oct","Nov","Dec");

Last edited:

GrayLowe

Local time
You are amazing June7, Thank so much. I just cut and pasted your code into SQL view of a new query and it recorded an error which said Characters found after end of SQL statement.

GrayLowe

Local time
June7, worked like a breeze when this dumbo worked out I needed two queries. Thank you so much, I feel my headache slowly disappearing.
:)

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
June7, worked like a breeze when this dumbo worked out I needed two queries. Thank you so much, I feel my headache slowly disappearing.
:)
Hi. Congratulations! Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Good luck with your project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom