VBA for Update Query (1 Viewer)

RiskyP

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:10
Hi,

I am creating a database that requires a user to link a file to a record in the database. To do this I am currently using an update query, The user manually 'copy as link' from the file and pasting into the update to field. The issue is - Copy As Link adds "'s before and after the link text, which is not read by access as a link and therefore renders my link unclickable. To get around this i have created a form to paste the As Link into, with a VBA that replaces both "'s with #'s. If your following me so far.

My VBA perameters set this new #Link# string as 'Lnkedit'

The VBA then initiates the update query.

My issue is - How do I tell the VBA to populate the 'Update to' parameter with my Lnkedit string? While still allowing the user to select my Query criteria Parameters that specify which records the file is linked to?

Or am i overcomplicating things - is there an easier way to link 1 object to several different records on my database?

Thanks

Last edited:

RiskyP

Registered User.
Local time
As An update - I have managed to create this;
Dim lnk As String
Dim Lnkedit As String
Dim db As Database
Dim Tbl As TableDef
Set Tbl = CurrentDb.TableDefs("Master Table - Packages")
Set db = CurrentDb

lnk = Me.LinkBox.Value
Lnkedit = Replace(lnk, """", "#")
db.Execute "UPDATE Tbl" & _
"SET Tbl.Fields(Package Recepit).Value = Lnkedit" & _
"WHERE Tbl.Fields(Vessel Name) = Me.VslNme.Value"

Issue is now in the WHERE line - to which i cannot figure out

Thanks

Hi,

I am creating a database that requires a user to link a file to a record in the database. To do this I am currently using an update query, The user manually 'copy as link' from the file and pasting into the update to field. The issue is - Copy As Link adds "'s before and after the link text, which is not read by access as a link and therefore renders my link unclickable. To get around this i have created a form to paste the As Link into, with a VBA that replaces both "'s with #'s. If your following me so far.

My VBA perameters set this new #Link# string as 'Lnkedit'

The VBA then initiates the update query.

My issue is - How do I tell the VBA to populate the 'Update to' parameter with my Lnkedit string? While still allowing the user to select my Query criteria Parameters that specify which records the file is linked to?

Or am i overcomplicating things - is there an easier way to link 1 object to several different records on my database?

Thanks,

jzwp22

Access Hobbyist
Local time
Today, 18:10
Since the value in the control is a variable, it cannot be enclosed within the double quotes but must be concatenated to the string. Additionally, if the vessel name field is a text data type then the value from the control must be delimited with single quotes.

"WHERE Tbl.Fields(Vessel Name) ='" & Me.VslNme.Value & "'"

The Lnkedit value would also have to be delimited with single quotes

One last thing, I'm not sure how VBA will respond to the field and table names since they include spaces. You may have to enclose them in square brackets.

If the form is in the database you mention, I'm not sure why you need the tableDef syntax. The code could be simplified as follows:

Code:
Dim lnk As String
Dim Lnkedit As String

lnk = Me.LinkBox.Value

dim mySQL as string

mySQL= "UPDATE [Master Table - Packages] SET [Package Recepit] = '" & Lnkedit  & "' WHERE [Vessel Name] ='" & Me.VslNme & "'"

currentDB.execute mySQL, dbfailonerror

RiskyP

Registered User.
Local time
Thankyou for your help with this - works perfectly! Am far more used to Excel.

One more thing - if I would like to add another condition - say another field titled vessel date as a further search criteria - would i just add AND [vessel date] =..... after the WHERE statement? or am I off the mark again

Thanks again for your much needed help!

Since the value in the control is a variable, it cannot be enclosed within the double quotes but must be concatenated to the string. Additionally, if the vessel name field is a text data type then the value from the control must be delimited with single quotes.

"WHERE Tbl.Fields(Vessel Name) ='" & Me.VslNme.Value & "'"

The Lnkedit value would also have to be delimited with single quotes

One last thing, I'm not sure how VBA will respond to the field and table names since they include spaces. You may have to enclose them in square brackets.

If the form is in the database you mention, I'm not sure why you need the tableDef syntax. The code could be simplified as follows:

Code:
Dim lnk As String
Dim Lnkedit As String

lnk = Me.LinkBox.Value

dim mySQL as string

mySQL= "UPDATE [Master Table - Packages] SET [Package Recepit] = '" & Lnkedit  & "' WHERE [Vessel Name] ='" & Me.VslNme & "'"

currentDB.execute mySQL, dbfailonerror

jzwp22

Access Hobbyist
Local time
Today, 18:10
If the additional criteria is what you need, there would be no problem adding it.

If the vessel date field is a date/time data type, it must be delimited by # signs. This is what the statment would look like. You will have to add the control/variable that provides the date value

mySQL= "UPDATE [Master Table - Packages] SET [Package Recepit] = '" & Lnkedit & "' WHERE [Vessel Name] ='" & Me.VslNme & "' AND [Vessel Date]=#" & SomeControlOrVariableReference & "#"

BTW, I typically put the SQL text in a variable because then you can use the debug.print statment to copy the constructed text to the VBA Immediate window for error checking. It is not a necessary statement, but if you are having issues with a query, it makes it easier to troubleshoot if you can see the actual text that was created. The other good thing about it is that you can copy the text from the Immediate window to a new query & try to run it from there and see what errors are returned.

The command would look like this:

debug.print mySQL

The command can be placed anywhere in your code after the mySQL variable is populated/constructed. Once you have done all of your troubleshooting of the code, you would either comment out the debug command or just delete it.

RiskyP

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks A Lot for your help - works like a charm!

If the additional criteria is what you need, there would be no problem adding it.

If the vessel date field is a date/time data type, it must be delimited by # signs. This is what the statment would look like. You will have to add the control/variable that provides the date value

mySQL= "UPDATE [Master Table - Packages] SET [Package Recepit] = '" & Lnkedit & "' WHERE [Vessel Name] ='" & Me.VslNme & "' AND [Vessel Date]=#" & SomeControlOrVariableReference & "#"

BTW, I typically put the SQL text in a variable because then you can use the debug.print statment to copy the constructed text to the VBA Immediate window for error checking. It is not a necessary statement, but if you are having issues with a query, it makes it easier to troubleshoot if you can see the actual text that was created. The other good thing about it is that you can copy the text from the Immediate window to a new query & try to run it from there and see what errors are returned.

debug.print mySQL

The command can be placed anywhere in your code after the mySQL variable is populated/constructed. Once you have done all of your troubleshooting of the code, you would either comment out the debug command or just delete it.

RiskyP

Registered User.
Local time
As Does the debuging!

debug.print mySQL

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom