Generic Access Question (1 Viewer)

johnboytweed

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:46
Good Afternoon,
I have looked online a lot about access and I understand that there are suppose to be tables setup to store information and that relationships are necessary for those tables to function. I guess my comprehension of it all ends there. One of my biggest questions is simply, "should I create a table that has all my data consolidated in it so that it can be viewed like you would a spreadsheet after all the necessary data has been entered? Or should I create a form that pulls all the data into one view so that it can be entered that way and then the information is saved into each table separately?

Sorry if this is very basic, but I'm just trying to understand how I need to make these tables relate to one another. I didn't know if there should be one table that has everything in it so that it can be easily viewed on a regular basis, or if I am suppose to create the tables and then create a "form" so that all the data is housed together.
The form looks good but it only seems that you can view one record at a time. If I wanted to view many records at once it seems like it should be in a "datasheet view".

Alansidman

AWF VIP
Local time
For starters, read this:

http://www.deeptraining.com/litwin/dbdesign/FundamentalsOfRelationalDatabaseDesign.aspx

forms can be presented in three ways. Single form shows only the open record. Datasheet view gives you "spreadsheet appearance." Continuous form gives you a modified spreadsheet view that looks more like a form but has multiple records visible in a table like manner.

You make your tables first and then your tables, queries and reports.

Here is a good tutorial to get you started after you read the first link

http://www.accessmvp.com/strive4peace/

johnboytweed

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you for the response. I will follow your link to see if that helps me understand it better. I think my issue is just that I am trying to apply Excel logic to Access in a modified way. I was trying to create a table which essentially just had all the data from all the other tables I had created contained in it. My logic was something like a center or hub of a bicycle wheel. The relationship lines were (in my thinking) kind of like the spokes and this one "main" table(that I thought had to be created sort of like a pivot table would in Excel) had to be placed there in order to organized the view of the individual tables. I now realize that the datasheet view can just be created like any other form view.
I think the correct way would be that all the tables are linked and the view is derived from the form created directly from all the tables.
Anyway, I will follow your link now and try to understand the logic for all of this a little better.

Thank you for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom