"offline" version and synchronisation (1 Viewer)

mane_uk

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:24
Hi All,

I have built a FE x BE database in ms access at work. It is OK and runs without major issues when the user are in the office using it through the network.

Now I have been tasked to do an "offline" mode of the database to be used by some users on their laptops when "on the road" or working from home without access to the network. Please bear in mind that the laptops are quite old and don't have much memory/hard drive space!! So it need to be a kind of slim version but still contain most of the information!!

My thoughts are:
* Either creating a copy of both databases (FE and BE) into the laptop (in the user's My Documents) from "live" and then re-link the tables.

* Or have a "shell" copy already created of the databases (FE and BE) with the minimal tables and forms then I would populate the tables of BE with the information from my main application and copy FE and BE into user's laptop (in the user's My Documents) and then re-link tables.

How would you deal with it?

And mainly how would you deal with the synchronization of data back to the live application? I have about 20 tables all interlinked somehow so the FKs and PKs would probably not be the same when getting back from offline to live (the live version will still be updated by the people working in the office)!! How to make sure they assume the new live number without making it takes age to synchronize?

Thanks!!
Mane

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Today, 11:24
You'll have to move to a composite primary key schema.

The first part of the primary key is autonumber the second part is unique to the offline computer.

You will need to time stamp “now()” every new record that could be created in the offline systems.

You might also consider making a log of every transaction, just in case you have to go back and track down an anomaly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom