2 continuous subforms (1 Viewer)

azzajones

Local time
Today, 11:46
Hi,

I am creating a database to store results of dog shows. I have a main form that holds the Show information, and a subform to record the results/awards for each dog entered. works fine.

the example entry for 1 result in the subform would be:
cmbDogID, cmbDogClass, cmbDogAward

the problem I am having is that one dog may have multiple awards in one show, and I would prefer them all to be entered in one entry since cmbDogID and cmbDogClass would be the same, it's only cmbDogAward that would be different.

So I tried to create a subform within that subform, then the user just has to enter show info in the main form, select a dog and class from the 1st subform, and then select one, or many awards from the 2nd subtable. this should be repeated for each dog entered who won anything.

As you have probably guessed by now, Access doesn't like this idea, it tells me a form with a subform object cannot have it's DefaultView property set to Continuous Forms.

This makes me wonder if I am approaching this in the best way, can anyone help ? I suppose you could say I'm trying to create a "one-to-many-to-many" situation, can I even do that?

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:46
you can have a main form with two continuous subforms acting in tandem

create some hidden (or visible) fields on the main form, and set these as required from your dog subform - update these as yopu move on the subform (parent!fieldname = etc)

then have another subform that reads the value from the parent form, so that the forms operate in tandem.

then you should be able to achieve what you want

JoeCruse

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 18:46
That is pretty much what I did for an exercise application I did with 2 continuous subforms on a main form. Worked like a charm.

RichMorrison

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 18:46
change "middle" form

I think the simplest solution is this:
change the the outer subform (the results/awards) from Continuous to Single form.

You can still have navigation buttons and record selectors in the middle form and the middle form behaves like a continuous form.

Good luck,
RichM

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom