One Computer Problem (1 Viewer)

Novice1

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 18:48
I have a database that generates an email via SendObject. The email generator works fine for all users but one. No error message. I'll click on the icon, on the user's computer, and nothing happens.

Because the process works on all computers but one, I believe the issue is an Outlook setting.

Any ideas what may be the cause of this problem?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 02:48
Can you post the code attached to the button.
We or you can possibly add some debugging to see why / where it fails ?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:48
OK, it is HIGHLY unlikely that NOTHING happens - but what DOES happen might be hidden.

First, do you have notifications/warnings disabled? If so, enable them.

Second, do you have an error handler active in the place that would do the SendObject? If so, what does it do?

Third, if worst comes to worst, this is potentially an interaction between Access and some e-mail code via the MAPI library. I believe that MAPI functions are defined as part of the basic Access library, so you should have all symbols defined that are implicitly used by SendObject.

However, there has to be something on the other side of that internal connection to take the sent object from Access out through the network. Whether this is a function handled by the network driver or CDO or Outlook or Exchange, SOMETHING is being given the packet to be sent - and that something drops it. But Windows isn't really designed to do so in total silence. Despite the fact that there are times I truly despise it, Windows is actually pretty good about leaving tracks. Therefore, you may well have a system error log entry for the failed attempt.

You can check for this by trying to send an e-mail and immediately looking at the system time. If you have a clock gadget visible, this would be ideal, but even the little date/time display in the lower right corner of the screen (in the task bar) would be close enough for this to work.

Using the Windows Start button, get to Settings >> Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Event Log Viewer. You will have one or more possible logs to view. "System" is always a valid log, but you could also have a Security log and an Applications log, not to mention a couple of specialized logs depending on what else is on that system.

ALL logs when viewed through Event Log Viewer are sorted by time (descending), so the most recent logs are at the top. Search for the time at which that send failure occurred in each of the logs. One of them should tell you why the failure occurred from the system's viewpoint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom