Adding input from form to display in report? (1 Viewer)

candyskullsfishbones

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:42
So context: I am currently building a form to allow people to input requests for items for a specific date and location, the form then puts those requests into a table and then a button on the form prints and saves a version of the report with the table results. I don't want the date and location to be entered with each item request, just entered once, which isn't saving it to fields on the table back end as it would duplicate the date and location which isn't needed. I only need it once for each request form, not each item requested.

So I am attempting to get the date and location input from that form to display in the report. It's applicable to all records on the report but because I am only putting the date and location in once to boxes on the form, then autosaving and printing the report with a button via the form I can't select from a combobox if I was to put it as field on the main table. Similarly I can't type it in manually as I want it to complete with just one button rather than having to manually change things before saving or printing. How would I go about this?

Its a really niche problem I know but yeah, thanks in advance! <3

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:42
Hi. Not sure I follow but if you simply want to display what's on a form on a report, you can create unbound textboxes on the report and refer to the form. For example:
Code:
=Forms!FormName.TextboxName
However, the part I am not sure about is what if you want to print the report again at a later time? Wouldn't the dates be gone by then? Not sure if this is an issue.

candyskullsfishbones

Registered User.
Local time
Hi. Not sure I follow but if you simply want to display what's on a form on a report, you can create unbound textboxes on the report and refer to the form. For example:
Code:
=Forms!FormName.TextboxName
However, the part I am not sure about is what if you want to print the report again at a later time? Wouldn't the dates be gone by then? Not sure if this is an issue.

For some reason entering that into the control source is just kicking me up an error, it only wants to let me select from table fields and not the textbox I am referring to. The text boxes I am trying to reference are called Gig_details_loc and Gig_details_date and the form name is Prep_List_Maker

The date being passed is not a problem as it can be reprinted from the saved file, and the request table will be cleared off and the data not stored at all in any other aspect than a copy of the report as a PDF :)

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
For some reason entering that into the control source is just kicking me up an error, it only wants to let me select from table fields and not the textbox I am referring to. The text boxes I am trying to reference are called Gig_details_loc and Gig_details_date and the form name is Prep_List_Maker

The date being passed is not a problem as it can be reprinted from the saved file, and the request table will be cleared off and the data not stored at all in any other aspect than a copy of the report as a PDF :)
Hi. Two things: (1) Make sure the form is open when you open the report, and (2) Try entering "=Forms!Prep_List_Maker.Gig_details_loc" (without the quotes) directly into the report textbox or in its Control Source property (try not to use the expression builder) just to see if you still get an error. If you do, what is the error message?

candyskullsfishbones

Registered User.
Local time
Hi. Two things: (1) Make sure the form is open when you open the report, and (2) Try entering "=Forms!Prep_List_Maker.Gig_details_loc" (without the quotes) directly into the report textbox or in its Control Source property (try not to use the expression builder) just to see if you still get an error. If you do, what is the error message?

Brilliant, I think my syntax was out, its worked properly now! Thank you so so much!

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
This might sound daft , but it's much easier to find things by date ranges, than to sift through saved pdf's and keep opening them.

Storing the dates with the records won't have any noticeable effect on the size of the tables, but would give you a history and therefore some usage stats.

I'm also slightly concerned that your workflow seems to be create a record, print the pdf , delete the record? This sort of defeats the object of a database, as you don't appear to actually be "storing" any data, unless I have the wrong end of the twiggy thing?

The duplication of the dates over a number of requests isn't really duplication, it's data about that request.

candyskullsfishbones

Registered User.
Local time
This might sound daft , but it's much easier to find things by date ranges, than to sift through saved pdf's and keep opening them.

Storing the dates with the records won't have any noticeable effect on the size of the tables, but would give you a history and therefore some usage stats.

I'm also slightly concerned that your workflow seems to be create a record, print the pdf , delete the record? This sort of defeats the object of a database, as you don't appear to actually be "storing" any data, unless I have the wrong end of the twiggy thing?

The duplication of the dates over a number of requests isn't really duplication, it's data about that request.

The thing I am creating is basically a one off request based off an existing inventory that is hired. I am currently trying to get basic functionality down at the moment (and keep it as similar to the old system as possible so other people who are used to the old one don't end up not using the form) so I don't need to interact with the physical inventory other than item names (which I am referencing already). I would have done this via excel but with 193 different items to select from it was easier to create a database of records. basically its referencing one table (the core database) for names, then creating a new table to allow a request sheet to be made and given of multiple items. The requests are 100% new each time so there is no point in keeping ahold of the data (for now) until I can get a basic system working :) storing information such as date and location along side what items were sent out will be a future alixx problem until I can transition to the new system for the rest of the team! I do appreciate the input though and will keep it in mind for future reference :D

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
The thing I am creating is basically a one off request based off an existing inventory that is hired. I am currently trying to get basic functionality down at the moment (and keep it as similar to the old system as possible so other people who are used to the old one don't end up not using the form) so I don't need to interact with the physical inventory other than item names (which I am referencing already). I would have done this via excel but with 193 different items to select from it was easier to create a database of records. basically its referencing one table (the core database) for names, then creating a new table to allow a request sheet to be made and given of multiple items. The requests are 100% new each time so there is no point in keeping ahold of the data (for now) until I can get a basic system working :) storing information such as date and location along side what items were sent out will be a future alixx problem until I can transition to the new system for the rest of the team! I do appreciate the input though and will keep it in mind for future reference :D
Hi Alixx. All I know is if those "future alixx problems" show up, you can't blame us for lack of warnings or reminders. However, we'll still be here ready to assist if you need it. Cheers!

candyskullsfishbones

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Alixx. All I know is if those "future alixx problems" show up, you can't blame us for lack of warnings or reminders. However, we'll still be here ready to assist if you need it. Cheers!

Definitely no blame here XD this is v 1.0 of the system for now, future functionality will come later :3 and all your help has been amazing :3

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom