Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Forms

Old 05-17-2019, 11:51 AM   #1
jahanzaibrana47
Newly Registered User

jahanzaibrana47 is on a distinguished road
How can we populate text boxes/fields (in a Form) by linking it to data in a query?

Hi Everyone,

Jay here, and I have been working with my company's small customer client database. I have multiple data entry forms which I use as the frontend to enter data into my tables. However, there is one form, for which, I want to enter data/populate it by data from another table.

[I know its confusing, explained it further below]

The Master Contract (Form) contains policies which are predefined and stored in a separate table. It was suggested to me that the form should have a mechanism/function that:

IF a particular service is selected (in the master contract form) by clicking on the drop-down menu

THEN the fields for that particular service should be populated BY the values in the policy table.

Example:
Master_Contract_Form-
Fields in the Form: Customer_Name, Service Type, Policy1, Policy2, Policy3

Policy_Table:
Columns/Fields in the Table: Service Type, Policy1, Policy2, Policy3

So, IF I enter a new customer_name and a service_type, then I want to get the Master_Contract_Form to get data from Policy_Table regarding policies related to that particular service_type.

Is there a way to do it? Or the question is still unclear?

I would appreciate any help.

Best,
Jay

jahanzaibrana47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:03 PM   #2
June7
Newly Registered User

June7 will become famous soon enough June7 will become famous soon enough
Re: How can we populate text boxes/fields (in a Form) by linking it to data in a quer

Why duplicate the 3 policy fields into MasterContract table? Options:

1. multi-column combobox to select Service Type, textboxes reference columns of combobox to display each policy data

2. build a query that links records, bind textboxes to policy fields, set Locked Yes and TabStop No

Multiple similar name fields indicates non-normalized data structure.
June7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to June7 For This Useful Post:
jahanzaibrana47 (05-20-2019)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: