Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Forms

Old 05-17-2019, 04:42 PM   #1
EllieCan
Newly Registered User

EllieCan is on a distinguished road
data entry with joining table

I am very new to Access, and learning a lot on the way. I have googled for hours to find a solution to this and am obviously not asking the question the right way.

I'm creating a database for client services which involves a many to many relationship.

While clients are registered individually, the visits are recorded on a family basis.

I've created a junction table that links clients to families, and families to visits (i've attached an image of the relationships below).

I understand how to make this work when there are records in both tables, but for new clients there won't be records in the Visits table.

What I think will work is if i create a registrations form that includes a Family ID number (that can be used later in the junction table), but which is not linked to the junction table, then i create a Visits form that also creates the input for the junction table (using a look up, i presume, to get the family info from the registrations form). Does that make sense?

How would I do that in practical terms?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot (14).png (88.2 KB, 6 views)

EllieCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:52 PM   #2
theDBguy
Iím here to help

theDBguy will become famous soon enough theDBguy will become famous soon enough
Re: data entry with joining table

Hi. Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you could use a Household table to tie all family members to one record. Either that or add a designation for the head of family and tie all family members to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
theDBguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:59 PM   #3
EllieCan
Newly Registered User

EllieCan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDBguy View Post
Hi. Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you could use a Household table to tie all family members to one record. Either that or add a designation for the head of family and tie all family members to it.
So, if i understand you right, this would mean I donít need a joining table?

(omg, this idea makes me so happy!)

EllieCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:07 PM   #4
theDBguy
Iím here to help

theDBguy will become famous soon enough theDBguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieCan View Post
So, if i understand you right, this would mean I donít need a joining table?

(omg, this idea makes me so happy!)
Yes, sort of. So, in your members table, you would add a new field to designate the family group (whether you use a separate household table or just use the ID of the head of the household). Then, in your visits table, you would log this value (family group ID) instead of the ID of the person visiting. I hope I understood your request correctly.

|
|
theDBguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: