data entry with joining table (1 Viewer)

EllieCan

Local time
Today, 05:07
I am very new to Access, and learning a lot on the way. I have googled for hours to find a solution to this and am obviously not asking the question the right way.

I'm creating a database for client services which involves a many to many relationship.

While clients are registered individually, the visits are recorded on a family basis.

I've created a junction table that links clients to families, and families to visits (i've attached an image of the relationships below).

I understand how to make this work when there are records in both tables, but for new clients there won't be records in the Visits table.

What I think will work is if i create a registrations form that includes a Family ID number (that can be used later in the junction table), but which is not linked to the junction table, then i create a Visits form that also creates the input for the junction table (using a look up, i presume, to get the family info from the registrations form). Does that make sense?

How would I do that in practical terms?

Attachments

• Screenshot (14).png
    Screenshot (14).png
    88.2 KB · Views: 25

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you could use a Household table to tie all family members to one record. Either that or add a designation for the head of family and tie all family members to it.

EllieCan

Local time
Hi. Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you could use a Household table to tie all family members to one record. Either that or add a designation for the head of family and tie all family members to it.

So, if i understand you right, this would mean I don’t need a joining table?

(omg, this idea makes me so happy!)

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
So, if i understand you right, this would mean I don’t need a joining table?

(omg, this idea makes me so happy!)
Yes, sort of. So, in your members table, you would add a new field to designate the family group (whether you use a separate household table or just use the ID of the head of the household). Then, in your visits table, you would log this value (family group ID) instead of the ID of the person visiting. I hope I understood your request correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom