About Table Security (1 Viewer)

notrino

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:27
Hello,

I want to ask a question for "mde" or "accde" file "table" security. You know, when we convert to Access database to accde, form, report,VBA codes are protected against user-induced negativity. They can't delete, change, etc. At the same time in the accde file, table protected too. Because you can't delete the "real table". But you can get into the table. At this point, you can delete,change the recorded data. If you select all data, you can delete all of them.:eek:Where is the data security? MSAccess protecting reports, codes, forms but it's not protecting the tables. Why? Has it got any adjustment in the options or in any menu? Thanks.

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 09:27
1. why would the end users want to alter forms, queries, etc?
my users are too busy working data to do this. Nor want to.

2. you could put lots and lots of protection on the forms; enable Delete=no, etc.
but you may slow down their productivity.
But if all the users are trying to sabotage the system then you may not have much hope.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 13:27
End users should never be allowed access to tables or queries.
All interaction should be done via forms.
That's particularly true if you are distributing apps as compiled versions (ACCDE/MDE)

You can easily make forms read only by setting properties Allow Additions/Deletions/Editing to No.

However if you do that with every form, the database will be completely read only which isn't normally it's purpose

Other security measures can be added such as disabling shift bypass, encrypting with a password etc. If you want to know more read any of my security related items in sample databases or on my website (link in my signature line)

However no Access app can ever be made 100% secure against determined hackers. If data security is particularly important you should use something like SQL Server for the BE which has higher level security built in.

notrino

Registered User.
Local time
Hello thank you,

Yes, I did all adjustments from "Form" side. (allow edits=no, delete=no etc..) But this does not prevent access to the table. Please look at the picture. You can see the "table icon with arrow" The user can be get in to this table and he can change or delete the records from table. It is not possible from "Form" but it is possible from "Table". Isn't that weird?

Attachments

• table_security.JPG
    table_security.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 83

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
As I stated, end users should have no access to tables or queries.
Make sure the navigation pane is hidden and don't allow them to make it visible.
To prevent that, also hide Access options.
Follow the links I've already suggested to find out how.

notrino

Registered User.
Local time
Hello,

Yes, I know that methodes (access window hiding, navigation pane hiding, shift blocking etc..) But all of them can be solve easily. So user can be get in to the table again.I'm asking like this security;

When I convert the access file to the accde, keep the table/query contents like forms, VBS codes. Isn't it a very natural and simple request? This results in stronger protection. Why does Microsoft not put such a feature in MSAccess?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
As others have said - you're using the wrong system if you want a completely secure application.

A encrypted compiled accde is pretty difficult to get into, but as we can prove certainly not completely impossible.

If you can't trust your users not to attempt to break in to a reasonably protected system, then I wouldn't be giving them access to the data in any way shape or form.

And Microsoft do provide a database - SQL Server if you want proper enterprise level security. Access is not that product.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yes, I know that methodes (access window hiding, navigation pane hiding, shift blocking etc..) But all of them can be solve easily.
….
Why does Microsoft not put such a feature in MSAccess?
because the ACE rdbms it is file based, not server based. Try Colins examples, they go much further than 'simply' hiding the navigation windows, disabling shift on open etc. or take up his security challenge, see how you get on.

You don't have to use ACE for the backend, you can use SQL Server (Express is free)

Difference between file and server based? With file based a user can ultimately find the back end and take a copy of it. The encryption is what protects the data, but you allow users in via the front end, so your security needs to be there.

You need to define your security policy - what you want to protect, from who, from doing what, how and why. Once defined you can then take the appropriate steps to evaluate the cost/benefit to protect your application.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom