Weird redraw issue (1 Viewer)

thorcrafty

Local time
Today, 12:53
Hi, I have a weird issue that shows up when I scroll to fast in a continuous form. I'm using Access 365 and Windows 10 Pro and a MS SQL Server 2014.

FYI, I am not the worlds best programmer or Access wizbang, this is only my second Access project.

As you can see from the image, some of the data does not draw, sometimes up to 6 rows do not draw.

The data is there if i click on the field, or if i press reset view, which calls refresh.
There is conditional formatting on Due Date, and Date Complete. Due Date is calculated from Date Received and Lead.
The database is stored on a MS SQL server, and the Query is limited to top 50.
I've tried disabling Access graphics acceleration, Windows 10 Animations, removing the conditional formatting. I tried changing the Recordset Type to Snapshot from Dynaset. All to no avail.

All told its not very complex, just a simple lookup from one table. Google has failed me at this point, Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Thorcrafty

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 18:53
As you can see from the image, some of the data does not draw
No I can't see that, (I don't know your database and your data), I see there are empty fields, but if they should be so because you haven't any data in it, I don't know, so where do you expect it should be data?
Show the record source for the form.
What happen if you take away the limit of Top 50?
If you open the query direct does all data appear?
If you scroll down the form, does the data then appear?
Have you tried a Compact & Repair?
Is the form a Navigation form, I see you have other tabs on it?
Only for troubleshooting, I would create a form with fewer controls in it, then you could add one control at a time until you find the culprit one.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:53
suspect the OP is talking about rows 2 and 10 where the border does not show around the controls but would be good to clarify.

If this is the case it is probably down to a slow query on sql server, slow network and/or heavy use of conditional formatting (although one of your tests implies this is not the case)

So agree with JH - need to see the recordsource to the form (if a query, then the sql to the query)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
One other issue SOMETIMES comes up - and this is RARE. If your screen resolution is not high enough, you can sometimes lose the thinnest borders. Thick ones rarely get whacked this way. I run into it because a FEW (and only a few) of the older games I play will resize the screen and then, if the game crashes before I exit, it will leave it that way, wrong-sized. Then the next time I open some form in Access, if I forget to reset the screen, it "looks" wrong.

This is because the graphics rendering routines in the bowels of Windows interact with the resolution of target devices. It happens more often for printers than for screens, but the renderers are still doing what they should be doing - scaling lines to display or print consistently with the image size and resolution of the output medium. This is why you sometimes have trouble seeing something in print preview if you don't currently have a selected printer.

And yes, the rendering routines are in the bowels of Windows right next to the rest of the crap they have in there that we see but don't realize.

Anyway, the test and fix are easier to describe than the reason. A simple test for this being a renderer problem is to thicken the borders up one notch. If that doesn't fix it, then look to the other suggestions from the other able members of this forum.

thorcrafty

Local time
Thanks for all your great suggestions, I will try them out and get back to you.
Sorry for not being clearer, Row 2 and 10 are supposed to have data in them. The data disappears when I scroll to fast. The data is not deleted, if i scroll up and then down slowly, It will redraw.

Anywho, I'll try your suggestions and see what results I get.

Thanks,

Thorcrafty

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Today, 10:53
The other way to deal with this is to use the On_Paint event to update your colours. This way you do one check(s) in one place and set values as needed. From what I've done this seems to work better than conditional formatting as you've one check to do rather than many for each field in each instance of the form.

lpapad

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:53
1)Make the row height bigger and test results
2) check data fields, make sure they do not have special characters, ESC characters

thorcrafty

Local time
Sorry for not getting back sooner. Thanks for all your suggestions. unfortunately they had no effect.

I have confirmed that the issue will show up on other computers.
The issue will occur even if i load a single form. Not just in a navigation form.
I have dual displays at 1080. I unplugged one. Tried lowering the resolution. No effect.
Thickening the border, increasing row height, all to no avail. There are no special characters that I could find in the dataset.
The sql is:
SELECT Schedule.[Job Name], Schedule.Description, Schedule.[Sales Rep], Schedule.Drafter, Schedule.[Date Received], Schedule.Lead, Workday3([Date Received],[Lead]) AS [Due Date], Schedule.[Date Started], Schedule.[Date Completed], Schedule.Comments, Schedule.[1st Draft Dollar Amount], Schedule.[Updated Dollar Amount]
FROM Schedule
ORDER BY Schedule.[Date Received] DESC;

I think I need to go back to the drawing-board. I'm thinking that in my tinkering I may have messed up something badly enough to cause the error, but not bad enough to crash it.

I'll use the On-Paint suggestion for formatting.

Thanks for your time, I'll follow up when I'm done with the remake.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:53
it could be the form has become corrupted - try rebuilding from scratch

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 18:53
Else post your database with some sample data + how to reproduce the error, zip it then you haven't 10 post yet.

thorcrafty

Local time
Just to followup. I did rebuild the forms, and everything appears to be working properly now. I'm not sure what caused the issue, but thank you all for your great suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom