Question Ms Access problem on one PC (1 Viewer)

pallem

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:57
Hi,

The setup we have is a back end SQL Server database with a front end MS Access 2000/2003 database which is run on the users PC using Access 2010 runtime. Each time the user clicks on the database icon on their desktop an exe runs to copy the latest copy of the database down from the server to their PC.

The problem we have is when one particular user clicks on an item on a particular screen the database crashes. If i reload the PC everything is fine for about 15 minutes, then it crashes again.

This particular problem doesn't happen on any other PC in the network.

This is very frustrating so any help would be much appreciated.

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 00:57
Thinking out loud... Have you checked their Profile?

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Thinking out loud... Have you checked their Profile?

I do not use runtime, however my setup is very similar to the OP:AC2013, SQL Server 2008. If a user tries to access my application and they are not a member of the group policy, there receive and error, I can’t recall the exact message but it implies the server is not available, unknown user, etc...

Since you are using runtime, that could explain why you get the crash instead of an explanation.

Gina is probably on the right track (when isn’t she??) and you should look there first.

If it turns out to not be the problem, have you condisdered converting the .accdr to .accdb and then trying to run the program? It may reveal a more detailed error than simply crashing.

Ranman256

Local time
I had 1 PC like that too. Not much worked, but 1 time I rebuilt the db by
create a new db ,
Then import EVERYTHING from the working db....tables,relations,macros,etc.
It may fix it.

But I had 1 PC where nothing fixed it. There was just some incompatible item that would crash it everytime.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:57
Something that catastrophic HAS to leave tracks. And the place where you LOOK for tracks is in the system event logs.

From the start button...

Start >> Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Event Viewer.

Be sure that you can see the clock in the far right of the task bar. Do whatever it is that hiccups your system. Note the time. Then get to the event viewer. You will probably see a System log and might see an application log, or more than one. Using the Event Viewer, scroll to the correct time of day for the events and see if anything special shows up. I'm betting on System log but wouldn't rule out Security log.

When going through these logs, you are not going to have to scroll through more than a couple of minutes either way. So for troubleshooting, ignore stuff plus or minus two minutes from the event time you noted on the task bar.

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Yesterday, 21:57
The problem we have is when one particular user clicks on an item on a particular screen the database crashes.

This got me thinking of something else it could be. Is there anything special on that screen? For example, does it have a timer that does something? Does it interface with an API or access a table in a different manner than the other forms/reports? Does it rely on a query that returns a very large recordset?

In my experience, if the application doesn't work for one user, there is something specific to that user. If the application doesn't work on one machine, there is something specific to that machine. If only one procedure causes problem, check what is different with that procedure then work back if that machine/user has an issue with what is different.

I would also have that user log in to a different machine and see if the problem "Goes away" and have another user use their machine to see if the problem "appears".

Some of the most difficult issues to resolve are when a user on a machine has a problem with a procedure.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:57
Just another WAG - compare patch histories. I've been having issues recently with Outlook and found that my machine had patched itself recently. I was contemplating that I might uninstall the patch, but today's patch list fixed the problem. If the failing machine is at a different patch level than any working machine, that can be an issue.

* WAG = wild a**ed guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom