Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Queries

Old 07-13-2018, 01:42 AM   #1
Hiba87
Newly Registered User

Hiba87 is on a distinguished road
Please help!

Folk, I need your help to set the roles in my database. Attached an access database linked to a SQL server with an example of what I mean. To avoid the incompatibility of logical fields (i.e. yes no fields) with SQL I replaced them with short texts (i.e. value list = row source time and under the latter I set the options I need (i.e. yes/no) please see TBLPrivilege attachment. Then I adjusted module 2 and replaced 'false' with the option I set for the users, who do not have a specific authority or role. Still, going through all that did not get me the result I want.

Here the expansions of the acronyms and abbreviations you may come across while skimming through TblPrivilege:

COpen = the user can open form
Cadd = the user can add form
Cedit = the user can edit form

User Name: Hiba
Password: 54321

Regards,

Hiba87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:50 AM   #2
Ranman256
Newly Registered User

Ranman256 will become famous soon enough
Re: Please help!

yes/no fields can exist as Integer.
Ranman256 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ranman256 For This Useful Post:
Hiba87 (07-14-2018)
Old Today, 01:13 AM   #3
ridders
Newbee moderator
Gold Supporter

Thanked 1,368 Times in 1,277 Posts
ridders is a jewel in the rough ridders is a jewel in the rough ridders is a jewel in the rough ridders is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Attached an access database linked to a SQL server with an example of what I mean. To avoid the incompatibility of logical fields (i.e. yes no fields) with SQL I replaced them with short texts (i.e. value list = row source time and under the latter I set the options I need (i.e. yes/no)
There wasn't a file attached to look at.

What do you mean when you refer to the incompatibility of boolean fields with SQL. Both Access & SQL Server can handle these.

The important thing to remember is that whilst in SQL Server, null is also possible, that isn't the case in Access. You therefore need to set a default value in SQL Server to avoid getting write conflict errors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If this answer has helped, please click the Thanks button and/or click the 'reputation scales' symbol on the left and leave a comment.

New example databases:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-------------------------
nil illegitimi carborundum est
ridders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:40 PM   #4
jdraw
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,844 Times in 1,794 Posts
jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice

Hiba87,

Tell us about your proposed application and the user roles you foresee in simple, plain English.

There are many articles on Role Based Access Control (RBAC) that may be helpful with concepts. Get your requirement identified and tested on paper before jumping to physical database.

In simple English --no jargon --what exactly do you mean with Cadd?

Steve Bishop has youtube videos on Managing Users that may also be helpful.

Good luck.

jdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:15 PM   #5
Mark_
Longboard on the internet

Mark_ will become famous soon enough

jdraw,

The three options listed look like the standard
"Can view the data"
"Can add data"
"Can edit data"

Not included would be the
"Can archive/delete data"

Of course I'd NEVER call one a "Cadd"... my spell checker keeps changing it to "Cad" anyhow.

@ OP, are you only trying to set procedure level security or also field level security? If so, you'd want to also add "Can't view" to some fields, just as bank accounts or credit card numbers.
Mark_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:24 PM   #6
jdraw
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,844 Times in 1,794 Posts
jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice

@Mark,
Yes I agree they look like... but to say Cadd ---can add form indicates (to me) an issue with concepts.
See a form, have add/edit rights to data on the form ( or to see a form, or see various buttons eg, Make the DELETE button hidden etc..) I understand. My view is -research role based access control for a better understanding of concepts. And/or restate the issue/requirement with more detail.

jdraw is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: