Please help! (1 Viewer)

Hiba87

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:24
Folk, I need your help to set the roles in my database. Attached an access database linked to a SQL server with an example of what I mean. To avoid the incompatibility of logical fields (i.e. yes no fields) with SQL I replaced them with short texts (i.e. value list = row source time and under the latter I set the options I need (i.e. yes/no) please see TBLPrivilege attachment. Then I adjusted module 2 and replaced 'false' with the option I set for the users, who do not have a specific authority or role. Still, going through all that did not get me the result I want.

Here the expansions of the acronyms and abbreviations you may come across while skimming through TblPrivilege:

COpen = the user can open form
Cadd = the user can add form
Cedit = the user can edit form

User Name: Hiba
Password: 54321

Regards,

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 15:24
Attached an access database linked to a SQL server with an example of what I mean. To avoid the incompatibility of logical fields (i.e. yes no fields) with SQL I replaced them with short texts (i.e. value list = row source time and under the latter I set the options I need (i.e. yes/no)

There wasn't a file attached to look at.

What do you mean when you refer to the incompatibility of boolean fields with SQL. Both Access & SQL Server can handle these.

The important thing to remember is that whilst in SQL Server, null is also possible, that isn't the case in Access. You therefore need to set a default value in SQL Server to avoid getting write conflict errors

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:24
Hiba87,

Tell us about your proposed application and the user roles you foresee in simple, plain English.

There are many articles on Role Based Access Control (RBAC) that may be helpful with concepts. Get your requirement identified and tested on paper before jumping to physical database.

In simple English --no jargon --what exactly do you mean with Cadd?

Steve Bishop has youtube videos on Managing Users that may also be helpful.

Good luck.

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
jdraw,

The three options listed look like the standard
"Can view the data"
"Can add data"
"Can edit data"

Not included would be the
"Can archive/delete data"

Of course I'd NEVER call one a "Cadd"... my spell checker keeps changing it to "Cad" anyhow.

@ OP, are you only trying to set procedure level security or also field level security? If so, you'd want to also add "Can't view" to some fields, just as bank accounts or credit card numbers.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:24
@Mark,
Yes I agree they look like... but to say Cadd ---can add form indicates (to me) an issue with concepts.
See a form, have add/edit rights to data on the form ( or to see a form, or see various buttons eg, Make the DELETE button hidden etc..) I understand. My view is -research role based access control for a better understanding of concepts. And/or restate the issue/requirement with more detail.

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
@ jdraw,

I'm thinking it may also be a case of "Clearly understanding HOW to express what you want in industry standard terms". "Add form" to a developer often means "I can add a form type procedure to the front end rather than "I can call the form in Add mode". But as far as I'm aware there is no way to restrict the database file itself such that you could add a form that you would not also be able to edit and delete. Internally ACCESS doesn't have that capability nor would a designer ever want that particular limit put in.

@ OP,
Does this link help give you and idea of how to set up security?
While it may not be a complete answer for your needs, I'm hoping it will get you going in the right direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom