Help with a command button on a userform (1 Viewer)

Justchris

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:31
I have 2 questions here, First I have a lot of info to enter a night. Should I make 3 seperate tables for my data and use 3 seperate forms or should I make 1 Large table using 3 forms to input data to it?

How can I link the forms using a command button? All 3 forms are made from the same table at this point, but when I use the toolbox to make a command button it only has an open form. This creates new records for each form.. I need it to all be linked, When I push the page 2 button i need it to open the other form for continues editing for the current day im working on without it starting a new record on the table.

Any help would be awesome
Thanks
Chris :cool:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 18:31
Justchris said:
First I have a lot of info to enter a night. Should I make 3 seperate tables for my data and use 3 seperate forms or should I make 1 Large table using 3 forms to input data to it?

It depends on what you are doing. For example, you could have customers (one table) and Orders (2nd Table) linked by CustomerID (autoNumber)
You don't have Customer demographic details and Order Details in the same table otherwise you're up a creek if a customer changes address for example.

Decide which is a "One" (like customer) and which is a "many" (like orders)

You should use a query as the recordsource for a form, not a table.

Tell us what your database is recording, that'll help people decide which way is best for you. Be aware though that you need to get this bit right or you'll have problems further down the line when you want to do reports and queries on the data.

Col

Justchris

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:31
Actually, this is to keep updated records of financial info. I get a print out of numbers every night with things like total room revenue, total restuarant revenue, taxes and basically all revenue for the day. I get a nice long list from 1000 to 9000 of diffrent stuff ranging from banquet receptions to rollaway beds. I'm a night auditor at a hotel and ive been asked if i could design a system to keep updated records on a daily basis that can be changed if need be. I figured the query would be for the calculations such as figuring out taxes and summing room revenue and so on. I dont need indivual profiles or anything like that. All I need is a way to sort my information by date and date alone. I was doing all this in excel untill they told me that I have to keep a running total. And I have to be able to edit previous days information changing that running total. I'm totally new to access and im not even sure if i should be using it.

Thanks
Chris :cool:

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:31
Access is the ideal tool for managing data. You only need one form and one table to hold the data. You can use a combo box on the table to enter the three types of data, room revenue, resturant revenue, and tax. But I would actually create a small table to hold these lookup values. It will be easier to manage in the long run. Then on the form, you would use a query of this lookup table as the RowSource for the combo. You should also create a relationship between the main table and the lookup table so you can enforce referential integrity.

Given the nature of your data entry, you probably want to copy certain values from the previous record such as the TransactionDate and TransactionType. So to speed up the data entry, you can change the field order on the form to Amt, TransactionType, TransactionDate. Then in the BeforeInsert event of the form, get the value from the previous record for the Type and Date fields. Then you only have to type data in them when they change.

Create queries and reports to analyze the data once you have entered it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom