Creating a company run from home (1 Viewer)

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 04:31
Hi,

I am looking to incorporate a new business from home, is it possible to use a home address as the registered office address? Additionally as a way of cutting costs etc do I actually have to appoint a company secretary?

Thanks!!

Very possible but laws and regulations for operating businesses from home vary on levels of government from municipal all the way to federal. Keep exacting records for tax purposes including the actual realestate portion of your home used for the business, additional energy consumption for that area of the home and eqipment usage.
It is not as easy as some info-mercial on late night television will have you believe, but then it is also not so complicated that it is barely worth it.
Basically you have to be a little more anal than running an office outside of home because there is still narrow minded mistrust on all levels to home based businesses.

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:31
Hi,

I am looking to incorporate a new business from home, is it possible to use a home address as the registered office address? Additionally as a way of cutting costs etc do I actually have to appoint a company secretary?

Thanks!!

In my experience:

Yes and No, respectively.

You can definitely use your home address as the company address. Depending on your local regs (as Fifty2One mentioned), you can then claim certain things back against your company taxes. For example, if you dedicate one room to be an office (say, 200 sq feet) and it has no other purpose, you can claim back heating, lighting, etc. based on whatever percentage of your overall house area it takes up e.g. (200/overall area of house) * heating bill.

As far as the secretary goes, while it's not mandatory it can be useful to have one even if it's in name only, for dividend purposes. One other way it's useful is if, for example, you're down as managing director and your wife is listed as secretary. Go out for the occasional meal, show, etc and you can claim all or part (depending on where you're located) as entertainment expenses.

I would strongly recommend you get an accountant before you go any further and ask them anything you're unsure of. A good one will save you way more than his/her fees come to and won't mind you asking whatever questions you want.

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
depends on what you are doing, where you are based, and to a certain degree your turnover- you need to discuss with a solicitor/lawyer or tax office - ont his

regards

Newman

Québécois
Local time
Today, 07:31
Don't forget to tell your insurance company. They might add a little extra charge if you tell them but, if they aren't aware that your house is used for business purpose, they might not give you any money if you get stolen or caught on fire. You might also have to pay an extra if you have more than x computers at home and another extra if you often have customers' computers left at home for repair.

maurice

Local time
Today, 11:31
Yes, you can run your business using home address, but the taxes and other payments for the part of the home you are using for commercial purpose would e charged different. Anyways i would suggest you to visit an experienced consultant regarding the same.

RCheesley

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:31
Just incorporated my company, in the UK you no longer have to appoint a secretary, so I am a sole director.

I have used my accountant's address for my registered business location but I believe you can use anywhere, but be aware of local regs - you might need to declare the property as a business location and hence incur business taxes.

Ruth

equity space

Banned
Local time
In the United States; Delaware or Nevada corp is the best. You may be all of the officers and director. Registered agent address can be your home address if that's where (state) the company is incorporated. You may not want to receive "legal" mail at your home address.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom