Access is the Best! (1 Viewer)

Vox DeVaux

Local time
Today, 01:26
Hi Everyone!
I have used Access, a lot, for various companies that I worked for, creating mini "applications". It certainly saves a lot of time and errors that come from trying to deal with a lot of data in Excel. Three years ago I started a small business as the owner of a food truck (Mighty Halifax Style Donair) and apparel company in Calgary, Canada. Now I'm setting up an accounting system and I'm using Access for part of it. A lot of times, I remember that an action is possible but I can't remember the exact bit of code to accomplish it - thanks for your help! Next step Office 365?
Cheers!

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 02:26
welcome friend. Office 365, IMO, is not as good as alone access, although in this day in age everybody is using it. perhaps it's because it's storage is in the cloud? everybody hangs their stuff in the cloud nowadays. I'm not even sure if 365 is connected to the cloud? I'm sure someone will chime in...

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 08:26
The retail versions of Office are a one-off purchase. It is yours to use forever if you wish. Security updates are provided throughout its support lifetime (previously 10 years but reduced to 7 years for Office 2019) but few or no feature updates will be released.
Office 365 is a subscription model which means you are renting the software on a monthly or yearly basis. Both security and feature updates are provided, usually monthly.
The method of installing (or removing) updates is different for the retail and subscription versions.

In both cases, Office files can be stored on user's hard drive and/or 'in the cloud' using OneDrive or similar

NOTE: Both types of Office are equally vulnerable to flawed security updates such as the corrupt query bug in the update released on 12 Nov

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:26
Hi. Vox. Welcome to AWF!

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:26
Office 365 is a subscription model which means you are renting the software on a monthly or yearly basis.
Well put, almost all commercial software is going this route.

The software is of no consequence it is the subscription renewal that's important, they enforce it by holding your data hostage until you renew.

I believe Microsoft will drop all nonsubscriber software, if your smart you will follow suite. Otherwise it's a onetime sale. ;)

Vox DeVaux

Local time
Today, 01:26
I dislike these subscription software services, particularly as most of the time, I'm an occasional user. (All these monthly expenses can add up!) I switched to Mac only computers about 15 years ago and installed Office for Mac but unfortunately it does not include Access. I actually purchased a used laptop with Window and Office installed, in order to use Access. I've never been able to find any database programs that work with Mac. I have a similar issue with Photoshop and its switch to subscription only, so I switched to Affinity software. I'm probably fighting a loosing battle though. :-(

Dreamweaver

Local time
Today, 08:26
I use office 365 and pay a monthly subscription which I think is good value for money as I get updates and 1tb of one drive space until this query error I was really happy.

I would still need the online space which would cost me at least what I pay now or more.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 02:26
I got all the info about 365 and it's purpose and usage and stuff from a best buy agent. so thanks to Colin and the agent for educating me on it. it sounds like MS is shoving it down everyone's throat so soon there won't be any choice but to pay for it monthly or yearly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom