Thanksgiving plans (1 Viewer)

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Yesterday, 20:02
what is everyone doing for the holiday? I'm going with my 1 brother (1 out of 2) and his wife out to our dad's house to eat a big dinner and prolly watch football or play card games. But my dad is in the middle of laying a hard wood floor down in the living room, so more than likely my brother and I will be doing that at some point!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
We are having family over. My stepson, his two sons, my stepdaughter, and her partner will be here. My other stepdaughter is in Florida these days. We also invited a friend and his partner because they are older and have no local family.

As usual, my wife cooked for a small army, but then we will have enough people - and enough "go bags" - that we won't have that much in the way of leftovers. Just enough for me to have a couple of hits on my favorite ad-hoc sandwich, the "turkey & cranberry sauce on a short po-boy bun." You folks might call the "short po-boy" bun a hoagie roll.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
well have fun Richard! on a side note, I've noticed that you are sometimes the first and only one, at least for a while, to respond to my threads here in the watercooler. perhaps after all these years of being missing in action, the people who lurk here still don't like me?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Can't guess, Adam. I'm not in their heads and they aren't in mine.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 21:02
Maybe don't take it personal or make up stuff. Maybe
a) there's too much of a good thing
b) sometimes it doesn't have a lot of relevancy to a wide audience (e.g. yours is the only country celebrating at this time)
c) your writing style makes for difficult reading.

Ever seen that email where you can read the entire mis-spelled paragraph but only because your mind can process what your eyes see IF it conforms to how the mind behaves? I dislike reading your answers because I usually read fast but your grammar slows me down. It is like a tongue twister for the brain. If you were my boss I'd have to contend with it, but since you're not...
Maybe ur (or zat u r?) comft readng wut u rit but maybe not all us r.

Just trying to help you play nicely with others so don't take that personally.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
your writing style makes for difficult reading
r u referring to my use of strings like "cuz", "prolly", "r", "ur" and "u"?? I would never be ur boss cuz I don't like u very much. :p to quote what seems to be all the rage....don't take that personally.
Maybe don't take it personal or make up stuff. Maybe
a) there's too much of a good thing.
what do u mean there's too much of a good thing? and what am I making up? don't I always answer questions truthfully?

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:02
yours is the only country celebrating at this time

This is the right place to ask this question! You may not know this but this is fundamentally a UK based forum. It started out mostly UK, but now I think it has a lot more US than UK, and then a good spattering of people from all over the rest of the world...

So what's the question? Seeing as there are so many Americans here, can you please explain to me what the Thanksgiving holiday is? How it arose and what it means? As alluded to by micron, I wonder is the USA the only place where it is celebrated? And if so why?

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
So what's the question? Seeing as there are so many Americans here, can you please explain to me what the Thanksgiving holiday is? How it arose and what it means? As alluded to by micron, I wonder is the USA the only place where it is celebrated? And if so why?
r u asking ME tony?

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
As alluded to by micron, I wonder is the USA the only place where it is celebrated?
That is not what I meant. It's a North American thing AFAIK. Ours is at a more sensible time of the year.
r u referring to my use of strings like "cuz", "prolly", "r", "ur" and "u"??
Exactly. You write like a millenial. I find it odd considering your age and the education level you lay claim to.

I don't like u very much.
Gee, that's a surprise.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
what have i layed claim to? have i even told anyone on this site about my educational background?surely u realize it's a joke. :rolleyes:
You have a Linked In profile & your prior posts are a bread crumb trail like the one in Hansel and Gretel.

And no I didn't. I guess that's how goofballs interpret such things.

Want to know how I easily get double spaced lines in my posts?

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Want to know how I easily get double spaced lines in my posts?
the linkedin profile on my profile page here is there so people understand where i've come from and what i work with. there's no other reason. I don't have a business website otherwise I would put that in there. I did have one when i worked in accounting 15 years ago but that didn't last very many years.

so humor me...how do you get double spaced lines? r u talking bout the same problem i have with my browsers?

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Shift+return+return is a 2x single line wrap in many places where RTF or HTML is used. I'd say it's application specific because that's how it is/was in Word but not Excel - unless maybe it's option driven. On the web it seems to depend on how a site generates HTML from input because it's not the same in every forum, even with the same browser. Here it's like <br><br>. Without shift you are generating <P><P> with 2 returns.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Uncle G, you wanted to know about Thanksgiving.

Here is a historical article that deals with the myths and gives a more historically neutral viewpoint.

https://fortune.com/2017/11/21/than...why-settlers-really-started-the-annual-feast/

The popular story, that it was started as a celebration to offer thanks to God for a good harvest and peace with the local native American tribes, is at best apocryphal. The part about offering thanks to God is no stretch because the settlers were religiously active, seeking freedom from the oppression of the "official" church of England. That it was related to a good harvest is no particular stretch either. Peace with the local tribes? There, we may have a disconnect.

However, the fact that George Washington acknowledged the existence of the celebration by making an "official" date for it DOES verify that the tradition had been around for a long time even before the USA was founded. It therefore can be claimed as an old tradition. The article verifies a record of the first Thanksgiving feast as of 1621, which is 398 years ago. I think that's long enough to call it a tradition.

Now, what it means in MODERN terms? It is the lead-in to the Christmas season. The day after Thanksgiving here in the USA is called "black Friday" because people start buying their Christmas presents and the merchants hope that the improved sales will put their accounts "in the black" by Dec. 24th. It marks the beginning of huge sales events in any department stores, car dealerships, and a few other businesses.

For our family, it means (or actually, MEANT, since I'm writing this at the end of the day) gathering the family together to eat, swap stories, wish everyone well, and in general gave a gathering for something other than a funeral. It is also a time when many of our churches and other charitable organizations sponsor extra-lush dinners for disadvantaged people - the homeless people of the city, the elderly people, the shut-ins whose mobility keeps them from going very far, ... people like that.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:02
Brilliant explanation as usual Richard!

I've even learnt something I didn't know! I've always heard about "black Friday" but didn't know where it originated. It always seems a bit odd to me, because you have the saying a "Black Day", and it just seemed a negative term, not really a marketing orientated term. I can now see how it originated from the accountancy side of a business, makes perfect sense! Mind you, they ought to think about renaming it, I don't think accountants should have anything to do with marketing at all!

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
I've always heard about "black Friday" but didn't know where it originated. It always seems a bit odd to me, because you have the saying a "Black Day", and it just seemed a negative term, not really a marketing orientated term.!
my brother got on my ass yesterday for purchases a new computer at wal mart when there are huge sales from online vendors on black friday. I just told him it really didn't matter. I'm not one to stand outside in the freezing cold and wait for 24 hours the day before thanksgiving just to save $100. if I ever have to do that, I'll just apply for foodstamps.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
my brother got on my ass yesterday for purchases a new computer at wal mart when there are huge sales from online vendors on black friday. I just told him it really didn't matter. I'm not one to stand outside in the freezing cold and wait for 24 hours the day before thanksgiving just to save $100. if I ever have to do that, I'll just apply for foodstamps.
Dont the online vendors in Iowa allow you to wait inside for UPS to deliver an order?:rolleyes:

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Dont the online vendors in Iowa allow you to wait inside for UPS to deliver an order?:rolleyes:
i'm talking about vendors the world over. or was that a joke from u? hard to tell...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom