Formatting graph column spacing (1 Viewer)

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:33
Okay, this is one of those that will either be very easy or impossible to do.

I have a graph that shows six columns.
By right-cliking on it and going to the Options tab under 'Format Data Series', I can increase/decrease the spaces between the columns.

Does one of you experts out there know if there's a way to increase the space evey two columns? Ideally, I want columns one and two to be touching, then a space, then three and four to touch, and so on.

Any help, as usual, gratefully received.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Yesterday, 18:33
I'm only responding because it is a difficult question. Interesting one too... :)

The only thing I can think of would be to use a gap in your data that you are creating the graph from. I'm not sure if that will do it, but it's worth a try! Maybe you could also change the form of the graph. I know there are stacked graphs, and other types of bar graphs. Honestly though, I don't think there is a way. But then again, what do I know....???

shades

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, you would need to have another column for each blank space in the data. Be sure to look at the options after the chart is made, so that empty cells are not plotted (uncheck the check box to that effect).

John Walkenbach has some instructions in his book,Excel Charts, chapters 7-8, that will show you how to set up the data in the tables.

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks to both of you for the suggestions.

Unfortunately for me, the user sees both the graph and the table containing the underlying data. My boss insists that having a blank column displayed is 'unacceptable', so I'm back to square one.

I think the user is just going to have to put up with the display as it is.

Definitely good to find out how to do this, should hiding the table become an option, guys. Thanks again.

chergh

blah
Local time
Today, 00:33
You don't need blank columns for this you just need to manipulate the range of your source data.

Say in column A you have the values: a,b,c,d,e,f
In Column B you have the values: 5,6,3,1,7,8

For series 1 in the values box you would have: "=Sheet1!$B$1:$B$6"

and for the x-axis labels you would have: "=Sheet1!$A$1:$A$6"

Now if you set you space between columns to 0 and replace the datasource strings with the following.

For values:

=(Sheet1!$B$1:$B$2,Sheet1!$B$39,Sheet1!$B$3:$B$4,Sheet1!$B$39,Sheet1!$B$5:$B$6)

For x-axis labels:

=(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$2,Sheet1!$B$17,Sheet1!$A$3:$A$4,Sheet1!$B$17,Sheet1!$A$5:$A$6)

You will now have your desired layout. Essentially all you are doing is adding blank cells to your data series so no need to add blank columns to your table.

shades

Registered User.
Local time
Another reason to have your data on one (or more) worksheet, your setup on other worksheets, and your display on still other worksheets.

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Another reason to have your data on one (or more) worksheet, your setup on other worksheets, and your display on still other worksheets.
With you on that one, but - as with so much of my current role - I've inherited a format that the recipients like, so I'm stuck with it.

My manager actually likes the way the tabe looks with a blank column between sections, so it's going to work out okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom