ActiveX OLE error (1 Viewer)

smig

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:02
I have an AC2016
I opened it in 2013 with No problem.
I debugged with no problem.

When I open a form, any event I try to run (Timer, Form_Open...) causes an ActiveX or OLE error, even if this event is empty and do nothing :banghead:

Checking the references seems to be OK and all ver16 where replaced with ver15

is it possible that shell32.dll, kernel32.dll, user32.dll or wininet.dll are causing the problem ?
They all declared with PtrSafe

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 07:02
Impossible to tell on that information. Those DLL are used in APIs but if you have the same bitness what works in one version should work in the other.

In any case I wouldn't expect API declarations to cause the errors you state.

Possibly corruption. Try decompiling your application then recompile and finally compact. Make a backup first just in case

smig

Registered User.
Local time
Impossible to tell on that information. Those DLL are used in APIs but if you have the same bitness what works in one version should work in the other.

In any case I wouldn't expect API declarations to cause the errors you state.

Possibly corruption. Try decompiling your application then recompile and finally compact. Make a backup first just in case
The application compile and run with no problem on both AC2016 32bit and AC2016 64bit.

what do you mean decompiling and then recompile?

I tried to comapct, and I had the same error once the application started and loaded the AutoExec_Form.

same problem even if I left the form's events empty.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Compiled code can get corrupted. Decompiling removes all compilation code and can solve a lot of issues. See http://www.fmsinc.com/microsoftaccess/Performance/Decompile.asp
Its a very useful tool in any developers toolkit.

Obviously I've no idea what's in your startup form but you could check whether that's causing an issue by using the shift bypass so it doesn't run. Then try opening other forms

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 03:02
Was the error something like this:

"A problem occurred while Microsoft Access was communicating with the OLE Server or ActiveX Control."

This type of error, usually but not associated with opening a Form, is apparently caused by all kinds of things, and, to the best of my knowledge, it is very seldom, if ever, actually connected with communicating with a OLE server or ActiveX Control, nor is it ever caused by the possible reasons given by the message!

The most common cause, going by what I've seen online for the past seven years, has to do with using a non-English language with Access, and need to set the language for non-unicode programs to that foreign language. Here's a link explaining this:

You receive an error message when you start Visual Basic for Applications code in an Access database

Note that although this link gives a specific Version of Windows and/or Access, the same problems persist over all combinations of Access and Windows.

And always a possible solution, as already mentioned, when things suddenly go phooey, for no apparent reason, is to create a new, blank Access file and Import everything into it.

Linq ;0)>

smig

Registered User.
Local time
Compiled code can get corrupted. Decompiling removes all compilation code and can solve a lot of issues. See http://www.fmsinc.com/microsoftaccess/Performance/Decompile.asp
Its a very useful tool in any developers toolkit.

Obviously I've no idea what's in your startup form but you could check whether that's causing an issue by using the shift bypass so it doesn't run. Then try opening other forms
Yes you do know what's in my startUp form. You helped me with it :D
The error raise for other forms as well, and even if there is no code in it.

Missingling might directed me to the issue, as we do use Hebrew

smig

Registered User.
Local time
Was the error something like this:

"A problem occurred while Microsoft Access was communicating with the OLE Server or ActiveX Control."

This type of error, usually but not associated with opening a Form, is apparently caused by all kinds of things, and, to the best of my knowledge, it is very seldom, if ever, actually connected with communicating with a OLE server or ActiveX Control, nor is it ever caused by the possible reasons given by the message!

The most common cause, going by what I've seen online for the past seven years, has to do with using a non-English language with Access, and need to set the language for non-unicode programs to that foreign language. Here's a link explaining this:

You receive an error message when you start Visual Basic for Applications code in an Access database

Note that although this link gives a specific Version of Windows and/or Access, the same problems persist over all combinations of Access and Windows.

And always a possible solution, as already mentioned, when things suddenly go phooey, for no apparent reason, is to create a new, blank Access file and Import everything into it.

Linq ;0)>

Yes, the error is something like that.
Multilingual is probably the cause.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Yes you do know what's in my startUp form. You helped me with it :D
The error raise for other forms as well, and even if there is no code in it.

Missingling might directed me to the issue, as we do use Hebrew

Ah but I didn't know it was the same app :D
Anyway pleased that you now have a solution

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom