SQL Server Express Edition (1 Viewer)

DBinPhilly

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:00
In the distant past I've written .adp programs that linked to SQL Server 2000 and they were very nice but kinda hard to maintain from a distance.
Plus, at that time SQL Server 2000 required an actual File Server, such as Windows 2000 Server or 2003 Server, which was kinda pricy and was outside the budget of a large percentage of my customer base - thus necessitating maintaining separate versions of the same program - a real pain.

So my question: does SQL Server Express 2012 allow multiple users? It seems to me that earlier versions would only work on a local workstation.
Or must I resort to a full version of SQL Server if I have a multiple workstation environment (which I always do)?

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 05:00
http://databases.about.com/od/sqlserver/ss/Installing-Sql-Server-2012-Express-Edition.htm
Unlike its predecessor, MSDE, it lacks a concurrent workload-governor to "limit performance if the database engine receives more work than is typical of a small number of users.

What I have been looking for: Microsoft came around to show off the new MS Access.
I asked them about the portable PC configuration. They told me it has the multiple OS via Virtual Machine. They use a Server for SQL Server, Web server, and (then Windows 7). It was running really well with an i5 3rd Gen Pentium.
Despite asking for the requirements and step-by-step to my MAPS group, I got nothing for you. At least yet.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 21:00
It doesn't require a server OS and it can be connected to from other workstations.

AFAIK This has always been the case with Express (or MSDE as it used to be called) and the full version.

The limitations with Express are 10GB database and the use of 1 GB RAM and and single processor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom