Subform Data Entry via Combo Box (1 Viewer)

JJHeck

Local time
Today, 04:59
Hello Everyone!

I'm very new to MS Access. I work for a charity organization. We offer free items to our clients. We have what are called "Personal Items" and "Community Closet Items". I am attempting to build a database that can track all of these give away's. I have created an order form. On this order form I would like to be able to add to the order record. When I attempt to do so I get the error "Field cannot be updated". I believe this is because the field is not bound correctly but unfortunately I have not been able to figure out how to bind it properly. I have been able to make this field a combo box with only the options from the item list table however when selecting from the combo box I get the same error.

For the end result I would like to have a combo box on the subforms of the order form that has a list of items to select from (this list will originate from the item list table and show the name of the item not the primary key or item ID). Once an item is selected a quantity can be entered and this will add to the current client order record.

Here are my relationships:
(Please see attachments I have less than 10 post and cannot post links yet)

Here is what my order form looks like currently (I have reverted back from the combo box for now):

The orders for the customer shown at the top show up on the left. When selecting a date on the left the order details show up on the right. This order form has 3 subforms. The main form is called "Order" the sub forms are "Shopping", "Personal Orders Subform", and "Community Closet Orders Subform".

Here is a link to the entire database:

Thank you in advance. I would be happy to supply any additional information needed.

Justin

Attachments

• Order Form.PNG
    Order Form.PNG
    35.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Relationships.PNG
    Relationships.PNG
    36.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Community Closet - Copy.accdb
    1.1 MB · Views: 64

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:59
I would combine both the Order tables into one table. That said I have made some changes to your exiting db to show how to get one of the subforms (Personal Items Orders) to work. Post back if you need explanations.

Attachments

• Community Closet Bob01.zip
    140.9 KB · Views: 77

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 16:59
If same as bob just ignore.

Attachments

• Community Closet - Copy.zip
    79.6 KB · Views: 59

JJHeck

Local time
Today, 04:59
Bob Fitz,

That was exactly what I was looking to accomplish!

Thank you so much!

arnelgp,

Thank you as well! Perfect!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom