New to VBA and Access, Need General Help :) (1 Viewer)

Hek

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:23
Is that the correct form and the only embedded macro in it?
If so, either the on order values are calculated or just incorrectly entered manually. Look at the table design as mentioned previously.

I believe it is the correct form, as this is the form were the order values exist. i believe the on order values must be calculated as people have told me that they dont input it manually, it just automatically happens.

Regards, Rhys.

Hek

Registered User.
Local time
Going to leave work, thankyou again for your help, if you have any thoughts or input on the issue please contact me or write on this forum

Regards, Rhys.

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
When you get a chance, open up your table in DESIGN view. Take a screen shot and post it here. That should give us an idea of what the actual fields are in your table and we can point out if any are CALCULATED or have oddities to them.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 19:23
It definitely sounds like the field is calculated using an expression.
Not the recommended approach but at least it should be easy to find in the table design.
See my comment on this in post #34

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:23
As others have suggested, we really need a copy of the database (ideally). The one with the macros converted to vba.
Can you look at the relationships window and see if tables are represented? If so take a screen shot and post.
Also, showing each of the table designs would be helpful, as Mark said.
You are "experimenting" with a copy of the database, correct?

People here are not concerned with the "business info/trade secrets" type of thing. We're trying to sort through the logic to ensure that whatever processes/programming is involved, it is working/calculating/reporting values according to specification.

A further thought/concern is that if this is an operational database and nobody knows the details; there is no available IT person/people with knowledge of the database and application; little to no documentation, then this org is in a quite vulnerable situation.

It's difficult to say where this application fits with the org, but someone(s) within the org should consider the importance of this database/info to the viability of their business and make some fundamental decisions. I'm a little concerned that a company with this issue would contract an IT person (you) with no experience in Access, vba or macros. That is not meant to be negative to you, it is a question of managements approach to data management/discipline.
Enough soapbox. Send us what you can for more focused responses.
I sure hope you're also contracted for:
-some documentation including
-a practical overview of the components
-details of each table and form
-guides for operating this application including backups
-a list of things (shortcomings as well as great points that should be familiar)
-some longer term maintenance

Good luck.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Hek,
I'm sure you are coming to this conclusion but you are in way over your head. None of us is going to be able to come close to helping you find the bug without having access to the database. Typically, to find the problem, someone would have to step through the code as each function is performed to see where the problem arises.

If this app was based on Northwind, that would give us a starting point. Northwind does not actually work and so it is a bad place to start for someone who doesn't know how to build applications, plus the most recent versions use embedded macros which make it harder to debug.

It is most likely the error occurs when an order is cancelled.

YOU make a copy of the database so you can play with it without affecting their existing inventory. If the BE tables are LINKED, you will need to copy the BE also and relink your test FE to the test BE. Make sure to label your copies as TEST so you don't get confused.

Once you make the copy, you should go through each process and check the inventory. When you add an order, does the inventory get updated correctly. When you change a quantity, does the inventory get updated correctly? When you delete an item.... when you delete an order ... etc.

Hek

Registered User.
Local time
Hey guys, im having trouble finding the datatype on the inventory modification screen (in design view) if anyone could point me in the right direction?

Regards, Rhys.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Please post
-a jpg/png of your table designs
and
-any form designs with properties showing.

Mark_

Local time
Rhys,

Are you looking at the FORM in design view or the TABLE in design view?

Hek

Registered User.
Local time
Please post
-a jpg/png of your table designs
and
-any form designs with properties showing.

How do i show properties on a form??

Regards, Rhys.

Mark_

Local time
Rhys,

You want to bring up the properties for the TABLE in design view.
The FORM binds a control to the table, so you can think of it as a "Window" to the field in the table. We still need to know what the TABLE is doing.

Think of it this way, if the TABLE says "This is a number", but you have a text box on a form that is trying to put "One hundred" into the number, the TABLE will complain about it, since you are trying to put text into a number.

Hek

Registered User.
Local time
Rhys,

You want to bring up the properties for the TABLE in design view.
The FORM binds a control to the table, so you can think of it as a "Window" to the field in the table. We still need to know what the TABLE is doing.

Think of it this way, if the TABLE says "This is a number", but you have a text box on a form that is trying to put "One hundred" into the number, the TABLE will complain about it, since you are trying to put text into a number.

Thankyou man, i cannot find the table that corresponds to the inventory modification form. Any ideas?

Thanks heaps for helping, it is truly appreciated.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Found this quickly via youtube. It should help with design view and some properties generally.

As for the table or query that is used with inventory modification form look for the form's recordsource.

Mark_

Local time
If you can see the FORM, can you bring of the FORM's properties while in design view? If so, you can see, on the "Data" tab, the "Record Source. This should point to either the TABLE or the QUERY.

If it is a query, you would need to look for that query to see what table(s) it is pulling from, and from there identify which table you need to look at.

Hek

Registered User.
Local time
If you can see the FORM, can you bring of the FORM's properties while in design view? If so, you can see, on the "Data" tab, the "Record Source. This should point to either the TABLE or the QUERY.

If it is a query, you would need to look for that query to see what table(s) it is pulling from, and from there identify which table you need to look at.

Here is a pic of where i am at now :) (company name scribbled out for their sake xD)

Regards, Rhys

EDIT: that "on order" column is the one showing the wrong values. :)

Attachments

• Mark.PNG
    Mark.PNG
    56.4 KB · Views: 130

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You want Form's properties. You are showing a control's properties.

In form design, right click on the little black square at upper left of form, select form properties.

Attachments

• AhHek.PNG
    AhHek.PNG
    33.1 KB · Views: 126

Hek

Registered User.
Local time
You want Form's properties. You are showing a control's properties.

In form design, right click on the little black square at upper left of form, select form properties.

Clicked that black square, and it brought this up.

Regards, Rhys.

Attachments

• mark 2.PNG
    mark 2.PNG
    22.4 KB · Views: 111

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Click the DATA tab and show us the recordsource for the form

Hek

Registered User.
Local time
Click the DATA tab and show us the recordsource for the form

attached is two PNG, first one is the general data, and the second one shows how many different recordsource options there are.

Regards, Rhys.

Attachments

• mark 3.PNG
    mark 3.PNG
    13.1 KB · Views: 121
  • mark 4.PNG
    mark 4.PNG
    5.8 KB · Views: 114

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom