Black Form not Opening Constantly at Startup (1 Viewer)

henryihunter1954

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:02
Hello to Everyone:

I have a situation with my opening form in my database. It does not come up 100% of the time when I click on the icon to open the database.

My blank form does not ever open on the first try after having the computer off over night. The second try, it comes on without a problem.

The black form does not come up on first try after when I exit out of the database, come back later to open it, say 20 minutes. Maybe 50% of the time, it will be successful on the first try.

That is not good.

Does anyone have a solution or any suggestions.
I would really appreciate some comments on this matter.

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 03:02
strange.
did you check task mananger to see if it was running in background?
if you have the form in the autoexec macro, IT HAS TO OPEN.

henryihunter1954

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you for responding RanMan.

I did check. The blank f
form, which is suppose to open to full screen and then allow my first form that is called to open, does not come up 100% of the time.

I am only guessing: Since it happens most of the time when I first turn the computer on, background processes at bootup may be stopping it.
Again, I am only guessing. If I try 2 or 3 minutes later, after booting up,most of the time it loads correctly. At the start of the program, I have the blank form as the startup file, but it just does no come up all of the time.

Not good.
Thank you again for responding.

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 09:02
How do you open the form, do you have it in the "Display Form" in the option for the current database, or how?
Does MS-Access open even when the form doesn't show up?
Do you've any code running before the form should open, maybe with some error handling in it?
Is it an unbound form, does it have any code in it that could close it before it open?
Is it a split database?
Did you try it on another computer?
If you can't get it, then post a stripped down version of your database with some sample data in it, (zip it because of missing 10 post) + description how to reproduce the fault.

henryihunter1954

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you for your response to my question.

I do have the blank form opening Display Form. That is correct.

This is the first thing that is suppose to happen when opening the form. No other commands are to run until the blank form loads then loads the next form loads. I am using this blank form as a background. It works, but not 100% of the time. The rest of the program will continue, but there will be no background blank form to make the appearance of a full screen. (When it does not load, the other windows can be seen such as Navigation, Tool bar, etc.)

This occurs intermittently. If I exit out of the database and go back, it works.

I would prefer that it does not happen at all.

Thanks again for your assistance.
I am new here and the help here is really great.

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
In order for us to help you really need to answer any questions put to you:

Is it a split database?

Did you try it on another computer?

Welcome to AWF!

Linq ;0)>

henryihunter1954

Registered User.
Local time
The database is split. I did that process a few days ago.

The problem has been ongoing ever since I've been working with the coding of the program, a year or so.

I have not tried it on another computer.

Thank you again.

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 09:02
I suspect the form to have some code in it that makes it shuts down before it finishes loaded, so show the code that you've in the form.
Another thing I suspect is that the form isn't unbound.
For testing suppose - create a new unbound form without any code and use that for the "background" form. The see if that form load every time the database opens.

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
This type of thing comes under what I call Strange, Odd and Curious Behavior, and S/O/C/B, especially when coupled with the fact that it's a 'sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't' scenario, usually translates into corruption, in one form or another.

The first thing to attempt, for this type of corruption, would be to Delete/Recreate the Form, and if that doesn't work, create a new, blank file and import all objects into it. Only takes a minute or two to create and check out, and if it doesn't work you haven't really lost anything! And, amazingly, it does frequently work!

If it is corruption, and assuming that you have a copy of the Front End on every user's PC (as it has to be) they'll probably all be corrupted, since the problem apparently started before you split it, and will all need to be replaced, once the problem is resolved.

Linq ;0)>

Last edited:

henryihunter1954

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks to JBH and MISSINGLINQ.

I read the responses.
I did have code in the Blank form - only to Maximize and at load time, to load my first form - which is like a menu to guide the user.
The form is not bound - ie - no record source.

I deleted this form and created a new one with the same code.

At this time, it appears to be working OK.
I will be keeping an eye out on this because it did not happen the first time I tried this. It started happening approximately 2 wks or so after my original Blank form was created.

This is a very helpful group and certainly thank you all for quick responses and very professional advice.

Learning all that I can from the suggestions and the advice.

Leaning all that I can about this group - AWF. Thank you all.

I read a quote years ago: "When the student is ready, the Teacher will appear"

THANKS AGAIN.

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
Sounds like the Form was, indeed, corrupted...which is kind of strange, I would think, considering how little it does! But Access will be Access...and the Access Gnomes do get bored, at times!

Good luck with it!

Linq ;0)>

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom