does anyone use visio with access 2010? (1 Viewer)

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:24
Before downloading a trial version of visio 2016 365, thought I would ask the question about other users experiences

I have a potential need for client which looks like it could be solved using visio.

But I'm using office 2010 and the only downloadable release I can find is 2016 - plus loads of comments that visio 2013 doesn't work with 2010.

Anybody have any advice?

Thanks

CJ

HiTechCoach

Local time
Today, 04:24
I have used Viso for database development with Access.

If that way you need to do?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The requirement is to use visio is for presentation purposes, both on screen and in printed reports.

Access has a visio viewer activeX control and I can display standalone visio reports (just some examples downloaded from the web). But my visio report will need to take data from Access to dynamically determine the layout before presentation.

The issue is the compatability of versions of Access/Visio. I (and more importantly my clients) use access 2010 whilst it would appear I can only download visio 2016. Whilst researching I found many comments saying that visio 2013 does not work with access 2010 and am wondering if that also applies to visio 2016.

Guess I will have to try it and see

HiTechCoach

Local time
What version of Visio does your client have? Do they have all Office 2010 apps?

Note: If you have an MSDN subscription yo can get all the versions of the Office apps including Visio.

Whilst researching I found many comments saying that visio 2013 does not work with access 2010 and am wondering if that also applies to visio 2016.

Curious, do you know what don't work between Access 2010 and Visio 2013?

FWIW: I DON'T mix versions of any Office Application on the same Windows instance (Physical or Virtual). This avoids any compatibility issues. I use multiple VM's, with each one having a different version of Microsoft Office.

Last edited:

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
client doesn't have Visio. They run Office 2010 (professional) with no plans to change anytime soon. Professional does not include visio.

my thinking was I would supply a form/report containing the visio viewer activeX control and vba code to update it. But beginning to think that won't be viable.

I have downloaded visio 2106 trial version. I can get it to read the access file to load data, but at the moment anything I create can't be seen in the visio viewer control - even if I save it as a 2010 version.

In the access vba window/references, I can load a number of visio 2016 libraries. I haven't yet tested whether these are sustained if the app is run from a machine without visio 2016 installed. Or even what they do! First need to be able to see the file in the activex window!

Also not got to the stage of testing whether the viewer alone will run vba code, either in the .vsd file itself or via a created instance in access vba (early or late binding).

Other things are whether I can install a later visio viewer activex version - looks like there are different file extensions a bit like excel - .vsd, .vsdx, .vsdm etc.

And so the questions go on....

I don't know what doesn't work - but am struggling to get the basics up and running.

Like you, I don't like mixing versions. My ideal would be to work with visio 2010, but I cannot find a valid version anywhere - cnet has some links but they take you to 3rd party sites which I have reservations about their legitimacy.

HiTechCoach

Local time
client doesn't have Visio.
A full version of Visio is probably required on any PC that will want to update the Visio drawing.

See: View or print Visio drawings with Visio Viewer 2010

Microsoft said:
With Visio Viewer 2010, you can open, view, or print Visio drawings, even if you don't have Visio installed.

You cannot, however, edit, save, or create a new Visio drawing by using the viewer.

Visio Viewer 2010 can open Visio drawings (.vsd files) saved in Visio 2000, 2002, 2003, 2007, and 2010. Visio Viewer 2010 can also open Visio XML drawings (.vdx files) saved in Visio 2002, 2003, and 2007.

my thinking was I would supply a form/report containing the visio viewer activeX control and vba code to update it. But beginning to think that won't be viable.

The Visio Viewer can modify/update the Visio drawing (vsd/vdx). Only a full versions can do thZta.

I seriously doubt what you are attempting is possible without the full version of Viso installed on the PC that will update the Visio drawing file.

What type of drawing are you wanting to display? Organization Chart style? Flow Chart/process?

Have you see this:

Where can I find Microsoft Office Organization Chart?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
A full version of Visio is probably required on any PC that will want to update the Visio drawing.
perhaps. Appreciate the viewer cannot do that. But wanted to be able to update the underlying data for display purposes. The modified file would not need to be saved, but would be 'refreshed' on each viewing.

Type of diagram required is a 'financial flow' based on ABC (Activity Based Costing) to show the flow of costs and revenues to and from cost centres. I was thinking the data flow template would be the one to use.

The list of activity types and cost centres are fixed, so the number of shapes in a diagram would be static. What would change is the view (budget/actual/forecast) of each activity which would change the dimensions of the shapes and possible some of the shape text.

I was just practicing with an organisation chart to get the principles in place, but for this client it is not a requirement - and would require the addition/removal of shapes as the organisation evolves.

I also thought it might be a novel way of displaying a timeline of activities and use of resources but have now dismissed that as impractical - at least for my present skill level!

HiTechCoach

Local time
perhaps. Appreciate the viewer cannot do that. But wanted to be able to update the underlying data for display purposes. The modified file would not need to be saved, but would be 'refreshed' on each viewing.
The viewer control CAN NOT modify or refresh the drawing file. That requires the full version.

The is a Drawing control that would do what you want. It is part of the full versions. It is really designed for not Offie apps to have an API. Office Applciaiton, like Acess, can use VBA code and automation to control Visio.

AFAIK, What you want to do requires the full version of Visio.

Have you considered using Powerpoint or Excel?

Might want to consider using .NET with Access.

See:

How to create add-ins for Office Access 2010: C#, VB.NET

Diagram for Windows Forms

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Hi Boyd,

Thanks for the tips. I've decided to abandon visio for what I want to do. I've considered Excel but will revisit. Not considered Powerpoint so will also take a look at that. Not sure what you mean by Drawing control?

Not heard of Diagram so will also take a look at that as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom