Manual input to combo box. (1 Viewer)

Sticky99

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:40
Hi Guys, I'm new to access and would like some advice if possible. I have a form with a subform that has a combo box for selecting part numbers from a parts table, is it possible to manually input to the combo box if no part number exists, which would then update the parts table. Apologies if this is schoolboy question.

Thanks

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:40
Hi. Just as an FYI, another option is to create a data entry form for entering new part numbers and then selecting this form in the List Items Edit Form property of the combobox. Cheers!

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:40
Just a warning., You have to be very careful with stuff like this.

If you let stuff get added "on the fly", you will 100% get junk added. Duplicates (ie near duplicates), typos and so on

So if you allow users to add a new part, because they can't locate the correct part description, then instead of a 50mm widget, you will end up with

50 mm widget
50 mm. widget
50 mm widget (note - I have an extra space in here which has been removed automatically when displayed)
50mm widget
50 mm wigdet and so on.

so this will happen if you have a part description, and then use an autonumber as an internal reference, amd allow users to add new parts.

however if you want a specific part number, and a description, then the people setting up new part codes should be closely controlled. Very few people should have the ability to create parts in the part table. There should generally be little need for a general data clerk to need to create new parts.

Just a personal view.

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:40
I'm with Dave on this one. Parts are not something that simply materialize out of thin air so I would never use the NotInList event to add a new one. In fact, I almost never allow entries to combos to be made on the fly for the obvious reason that Dave stated. People are sloppy and without some control, you get a lot of garbage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom