Add records button greyed out; form from an imported database (2 Viewers)

prich0905

Local time
Yesterday, 19:24
Hey team,

First off I'll say that I am using Access 2016. I am brand new to Access, just started tinkering this week. I imported an excel sheet to my database and created a form for it. The add new record button is greyed out. If it greyed out because its imported? I tried researching some online, but all the answers were written in ancient Greek. Again, I am very new to Access, so I appreciate your answers being simplified to the Barney level.
If this is already asked on the forum, I apologize, I didn't see it here.
Thanks

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

Can you post a screenshot of which button you are referring to? How exactly did you create the form?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Did you import the spreadsheet, or link to it? The linked spreadsheet would be read only from Access.

prich0905

Local time
I appreciate the quick responses.

@theDBGuy, Its the add new record button at the bottom of the screen. I also can not add new records through forms. I can put it up tomorrow, its on my office comp, and I don't have access to it from here.

@pbaldy, you are exactly right though. It is linked, which explains why I cannot add anything to it.

That being said, if I put the information from the original excel book to Access, not linked or imported or anything, just a brand new table, then I should be able to do more than just run queries and reports right? That might be a good work around.

If you don't mind, this spawned one more question:
If I were to move my excel page to an access table, can I move my formulas from Excel? I love my formulas, but do not know how to put them into my access table, or if I can. Is there an Access version of Conditional formatting, auto-highlighting, etc?

Thanks for taking the time to help

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Importing it into an Access table or using a new Access table would both result in a table you could update.

Yes, Access has Conditional Formatting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom