I got it to work.
I found the problem was with my reset button. i placed a button on the form, that resets all the values on the form that takes parameters for my report query. When i click that button:
It resets the value of my combobox, Me![cboDept] = "" and i have an afterupdate event on this combobox to update an invisible textbox with the deptId of the value in cboDept, so putting "" was an issue, as there is no deptId associated with "". When i changed it to Me![cboDept] = Null. It works perfectly!
So as gemma suggested, I placed MsgBox (DCount("*", "qryAttendanceRecords"))
in the code that opens the report/query to research and found it...